Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts
I finally got all of this straight after a few months so here goes.....
On Dec 2nd I sold my parker 21SE to a guy in Millsboro....He asked me to deliver the boat and he would compensate me for doing so....So it is a clear beautiful day....sat afternoon...on a straight away road...hardly any traffic....I am making a left hand turn (1 lane each way) 1 mile from this guys house....a car comes from nowhere (behind me) and slams into the rear (port side) of my trailer!!!!!!
Boat goes flying off of the trailer and goes an official 225 ft!!!!!....Trailer busts in 1/2 and swings around and dents my pickup....the girl (21 years old) hits my boat and than hits a tree....
To make a long story short....she is OK...broken ankle...My truck had $800 worth of damage, she only had liability and her truck was totalled.... the insurance company wanted to fix the boat....I didn't want it fixed because I had the boat sold and wanted the full value of what I was selling it for....damage was at $14,000...........gel coat..fiberglass...trailer..trim tabs ripped off.......Boat had a strap around which was ripped to shredds....winch strap too......
What an awesome boat it was....after all of that the boat was sitting on the side of the road and looked like it was ready to launch.....it was towed to Shorts Marine....I wasn't very happy with them but thats another story.....
So after 5 LOOOOONG weeks...I got a lawyer and Libery mutual (Her Ins Co) settled...the full amount.......

So now I can get back to a normal schedule and my new boat is ordered.....the boat was sold to a salvage company.....

Very strange to watch your boat flying down the road...thank God No one was coming from the other direction........I missed ALOT of quality fishing time........:confused:
If you think youve heard of everything try this out. A good friend of mine, a guide in SW Fl was trailering his 40K Action Craft rig across Rt 41 in Northport, an older gentleman runs a light and hits the boat from the side as well. Boat goes flying off, his PU rolled over from the force, trailer still attached. He's basically upside down, the boat was destroyed, kevlar, carbon fiber doesnt do well from impact. Here's the clincher, the old guy sues him. About a year later he gets a summons in the mail as well as the ins company. Instead of the ins. company fighting they pay the old guy, so they dont have to go to court. Fl is a nutty place, Bob said moral of the story, stay away from old folks driving. BTW he lost his endorsement with Action Craft after that.

jamie glad to hear that no one was hurt . i have taken care of several people that were in autos hit by flying boats. was wondering about the shorts comment . i got my parker from someone else, but shorts is in my state.

Jamie - I remember the phone call from Hank telling me what had happened like it was yesterday. I followed you every step and as I told you just be thankful you and Marcia were O.K. Also glad they settled and your 23 SE is on the way, can't wait to get blood and Sea Lice on her.

Jamie -
Glad everything worked out for you. It could have been a real disaster with personal injuries. Bpats can be replaced.

Now that it's over, you can probably look for a little humor in the story - - anybody passing by probably thought Parker was filming a commercial to compete with the Triumph Boats - you know the one where the 2 guys are pulling the boat over a gravel road with no trailer :D

Good luck with the Predator II

Eminent Brother and esteemed fellow Parker owner,
Well I'm glad your getting a new rig:) ...even though your Parker's bigger then mine and has a 4-stroke. :(

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LAUNCHED A PARKER 225-FEET!?
she must have been haulin' bass and in a hurry to get somewhere.

glad everything finally worked out for you and everyone is okay. i'll immagine it was torture along the way.

i had wondered what happened to your regular wednesday reports.

potential "new" owner must have been some kind of upset.

best of luck and good feeshin' on the new ride! look forward to the return of the "regular wednesdays."

b

Glad to hear everyone is OK. Thanks for posting this - was there anything you would do different with regard to your boat now that you've had this accident? Different tie downs or anything? Did the tie downs fail? Or just carry half the trailer along with the boat?

Great Job Jumbo

Jumbo-
Tough story for the young gal....I'm glad she's relatively o.k!?

As far as the insurance company (Liberty)....your the man!!! Never take any BS from an insurance company....they are in the business of collecting checks.....not writing them!!!

I advise anybody who is in your situation to fight'em and get all of your money minus the darn lawyer fees....I can't even imagine all of the money insurance companies have screwed good people out of!!!

Damn insurance companies drive me crazy.....I'm glad you got paid!:) :) :)

If you think youve heard of everything try this out. A good friend of mine, a guide in SW Fl was trailering his 40K Action Craft rig across Rt 41 in Northport, an older gentleman runs a light and hits the boat from the side as well. Boat goes flying off, his PU rolled over from the force, trailer still attached. He's basically upside down, the boat was destroyed, kevlar, carbon fiber doesnt do well from impact. Here's the clincher, the old guy sues him. About a year later he gets a summons in the mail as well as the ins company. Instead of the ins. company fighting they pay the old guy, so they dont have to go to court. Fl is a nutty place, Bob said moral of the story, stay away from old folks driving. BTW he lost his endorsement with Action Craft after that.
Not to hijack this thread, but that is crazy! The old man is liable for the accident then he sues?

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Pax,....I have been thinking about different tie downs....but honestly when someone hits you from the side at 60+ MPH I'n not sure tie downs are gonna hold....
the skidmarks from the boat on the road looked like someone was drawing a kids game on it...round circles all the way down the road..the boat was spinning.....

Crcountry...I called those Ins people very day twice a day...email every day...made them spend as much money as I could...researched it quite a bit...the best one was when I called them and told them i needed them to pay for a private charter boat for me to go fishing on...I told them that according to what he told me, they were to "provide me the lifestyle that I was accustomed to"....so I told him I had to hire a private Light tackle guide to take me fishing because his client "smashed" my boat!....and they needed to pay $650 a day (Oh Skip)....:D :D
10 days later it was settled....Lawyer only sent 1 letter after that and it was done....
I would also have to say that my Ins company (State Farm) were very helpful in moving things along....of course it wasn't fast enough for me but it was pretty quick according to other people that I have talked to.....
Special thanks to JP and Hank (and my wife) for listening to me vent over this ordeal...Hank and JP called me every day to see the progress......

Actually I think my wife said that I was "pouting"......:cool:

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Eminent Brother and esteemed fellow Parker owner,
Well I'm glad your getting a new rig:) ...even though your Parker's bigger then mine and has a 4-stroke. :(
I kept reading your reposnses about how you loved the 23's...so I figured let's go take a look and see what the fuss is all about....you were right!...impressive....
Maybe you and SWMBO would like to go on a nice eveing trip this summer.....I promise I won't call her SWMBO..I'm not dumb........:cool:

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Good thing you weren't pulling a Grady-the young lady would have been killed.:D Glad the insurance worked out.:) Skip
Like someone would really buy a used Grady......the original owners are usually stuck with them....:p :D

Just kiddin' thanks Skip.....

Holy cow....what else can be said that hasn't already been said!!

Glad you and the wife and the potential buyer, who also witnessed this, are all ok.

Lucky the girl who caused the accident is still around. Tough lesson for her, though maybe some good will come of this by her getting the word out on how to pay attention when behind the wheel of a car......presuming, of course, she didn't have some unexpected medical condition or catastrophic mechanical problem, which doesn't appear to be the case.

Much luck and success with your new tub. We've enjoyed our 23' Parker for going on 18 years now....(and after this saga, we may never want to try and sell her! :eek: )

Jamie: Glad to hear that everything turned out OK. Suggest that you call the new boat "Second Chance".
Having had a boat stolen and then flipped over and totalled by the crooks, I can empathize with you. The insurance companies are painfully slow and the only ones making out are the lawyers.
Personally, I would have had them also reimburse you for the legal fees.

May your new boat provide you with more pleasure than the old boat.;)
Tight lines,

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.