Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just for my future planning, how was parking at OC today say between 0900 and 1000? I know in past seasons, the primary lot fills early on weekends but has the "pressure on the ramp" eased now that its Mid January?

Thanks.

Edit: "Parking Today At Owl Creek, Rudee Inlet"

·
Registered
631 Posts
i was there yesterday about 8 and i got one of the last spots. If people would learn to pull in straight there would be more parking. i counted 8 spots that were blocked due to crooked trailers. ( i physically moved a trailer to get a spot)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I AGREE! Thats BS. And on a Friday to boot!

And, if you could physically move the trailer than thats even more BS because it had to be a small boat.

I try very hard to get straight with my rig.....old F250 extended cab 8' bed with tandom aluminum bunk.........very long (nearly 30 paces from bumper to prop tip). I have the hardest time parking it with the short spaces provided and wide turn radius. He!! I got jammed at the gas station at the South of the James last month trying to get gas.........pumps run the wrong direction from the entrance.

NTL, until Virginia invests $$$$$ into public ramps this is the **** we have to put up with. Lynnhaven isn't any better.

Lar

·
Registered
223 Posts
on that last note $$$$ Va ramps....Rudee inlet I know for sure see's alot of boat and trailer traffic. I don't think any of us Die Hard striper fisherpeople would not fish because of a small launch fee. I live in No Va and good luck finding a public/state ramp where you don't have to pay. Most of them on the honor system at our hours. Not to say that rudee is a bad ramp, but imagine what it could be with a couple $$ from us. Don't get me wrong freeeeeeeee is nice, but at the same time they could be enlarging the parking lot????? Valet would be even better :roflguy::roflguy:

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
as much as they charge for crab creek you would think the money from it could in some way go towards paving owls creek~

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Kidding

Racn35 how have you been?

And Crab Creek has its issues.........beach goers in the summer take much need parking as you well know plus the channel just plan sucks. I will not lauch there ever. For CBBT action I'd rather lauch at Wil-b Spit and listen to the 350 Quatra-Jet.........heck the boat gets 2 mpg and the truck gets 7. I'll run the extra distance in the boat.

Lar

G

·
Whoever was the designed for OC's ramp wasn't a boater. My boat is only 21' but when I have to retrieve - I fish alone - and get the trailer wet - I have to back the boat up almost off the dock because they are so short. What were they thinking - skiffs only or jetski's (no offense Brian)......

On another note - if you can't fit your rig into one spot - then go to the overflow ramp.....................

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy to....

I usually plan to use th overflow or the furthest slot. I also try to hit at a low activity time since I launch my 24 Albe either solo or with 1 crew member not familiar with her.

The person I bought the truck from used it to haul peanut and soy bean trailers and installed a locked rear end......not limited slip but locked. Its a beast especially in 4 wheel drive and trying to turn.

To your point of dock length.............OK not saying the obvious but who in their right minds would place a ramp at the very end of a narrow creek. He!! you have to be careful not to back too close to the opposite bank when departing the dock. Some with Huntington Park dock, you nearly back into the rip rap if using the most North launch ramp.............designed for 18-20 foot boats.

Don't get mestarted on Cobbs in LC. Trashed new props there last year at low tide launching.

Boat cleared trailer but struck debris or something.......guess its time to try Hatteras Island.

:censored: and moan!

Lar

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just wanted to post a little comment on charging at Rudee Inlet. LETS NOT LET IT HAPPEN!!!!! The ramp and parking is just fine. I use a cast net to get my free bait. I fish Rudee 3 or 4 times a week in the summer and I would not like to pay 5 bucks to drop my boat everytime. It would get really expensive. Look at Lensner Ramp. The said that was going to be free but decided to charge. Now after paying 5 bucks you still run aground because of lack of design and dredging. Wheres that money go? And no fish cleaning tables!!

G

·
I just wanted to post a little comment on charging at Rudee Inlet. LETS NOT LET IT HAPPEN!!!!! The ramp and parking is just fine. I use a cast net to get my free bait. I fish Rudee 3 or 4 times a week in the summer and I would not like to pay 5 bucks to drop my boat everytime. It would get really expensive. Look at Lensner Ramp. The said that was going to be free but decided to charge. Now after paying 5 bucks you still run aground because of lack of design and dredging. Wheres that money go? And no fish cleaning tables!!
I get an annual parking permit at Crab Creek - not so bad for what you get. Best ramp around. OC is just a hassle. Dirty, muddy and short ramps and insufficient parking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has anyone had any problems (parking tickets, damage or stolen items) parking their boat & trailer in the Owl's Creek parking lot overnight? Does Virginia Beach allow boats and trailers, attached to the tow vehicle, to park in residential neighborhoods overnight?

Glen

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
The ramp at the Lesner Bridge was built using our lic. fee money, then turned over to the City of Va. Beach. They instituted the launch fee because Bubba's complained that it would drive him out of business if it remained free of charge. No only that, but, the city uses the parking lot as an additional source of revenue as they constantly write tickets for each and every vehicle violation they can find on the vehicles and trailers parked there. Don't get your hopes up as to its ever being a free launch ramp again. With the budget crunch the city finds itself in, they will be probably be increasing the fee once again--it seems to go up every year or two.

:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Why not complain? $5.00 dollars 3 times a week can be a large add on if you figure in the bills on the sport alone. If wanna charge out of towners fine. NO PROBLEM! But I know alot of people will agree with me on this. I just think access to the ocean should be free. I do not like keeping my boat in the water due to the effects it has on a boat. And also leaving it unattended is not good either. Insurence goes up because of careless people not checking batteries or leaving it in bad weather. Ok I'm ranting a little and going of coarse but you get the idea

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
heres why I try to avoid launching at Rudee during striper season...

December 27, 2008

We waited over an hour, in line, with the rest of our clostest fishing buddies to launch, no big deal, it was going fairly smoothe...the line was backed up over the bridge at the fishing centerat 0600 and boats steadily adding to the line.

And we finally get up to the parking lot and this gentleman is wanting to cut in the line. Sorry, it just like the grocery store, go to the end of the line and wait your turn.

Someone a few trucks back did let him in, but he most likely forced his way into the line. So not cool.

As far as the charging for a ramp, Iwouldn't have a problem with it as long as we got something in return for it. But we see how well it worked over at Lynnhaven.

Danny

·
Registered
440 Posts
just like everyone here is saying where is our license revenue going? i leave extremly early when we go just so we can park.. does anyone know a paving contactor? maybe everyone who uses the ramp can pull together and pave the lot ourselfs? sounds crazy but just an idea..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Too much hassle!

The last time I tried OC was rock season a couple years ago. Went on a WED in mid-Feb. (no holiday or similar), forecast was light winds and a little warm. Got there around 8am, main lot was already full, 50 or so in the lot across the street. Not too bad launching, other than the hike from across the street (takes time). Then there's the no-wake to the inlet (20 min?). Loading up was a hassle, again too much time. This was a weekday, hate to see the place on the weekend. I go fishing to relax, chill out, etc..., OC ain't that. Now we leave from the ramp near the house and run down the bay in the boat.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Racn35 how have you been?

And Crab Creek has its issues.........beach goers in the summer take much need parking as you well know plus the channel just plan sucks. I will not lauch there ever. For CBBT action I'd rather lauch at Wil-b Spit and listen to the 350 Quatra-Jet.........heck the boat gets 2 mpg and the truck gets 7. I'll run the extra distance in the boat.

Lar
I do NOT, have NOT and will NOt launch at Crab Creek either - Tackle shop or not I will continue to launch from the base all summer .......

I am good and how about your self ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ocean access free?

Someone said access to the ocean should be free, I am wondering why? It involves real property and owners and in no other circumstance I can think of is access free. People hunt on lands that are owned by others for a charge, the property along lakes rivers and oceans costs more because control of that access is a part of the value, is there some specific reason ocean access should be free?
Publicly owned lands administered equally to all citizens is a different matter than simply saying ocean access should be free. Now we are talking about legislation and governance and that can be changed but it takes a lot of time and effort.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts