Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you all, A Virginia Beach angler here. The wife & I are taking 3 wks. to fish the south. Will be staying 2 days around Beaufort & then 2 days around St. Mary's Ga. Leavig V.B. the 17th of June. Any fishing reports appreciated, will have 23' Pathfinder CC to fish off of...Regards Capt. Stick

·
Registered
24 Posts
STX,
Can't help with St. Mary's--guessing you might be a former Navy type?

Anyway, got family in Beaufort. I've never fished it from a boat... I hear that the creeks are difficult to navigate if you're unfamiliar with the area. Maybe the best bet is to get a guide? Perhaps Rick knows some.

My old man tells me that his buddies are catching plenty of trout and spottail (heard about the occasional sheep's head) out there on cut bait and shrimp from the bridges (most of the shops are carrying live shrimp now). Assuming they work like they do in the Charleston area, I'd recommend three rigs: 3" gulp shrimp on a 2/0 weighted offset for the bottom, a 52MR mirrolure for the middle (green and silver works for me most of the time), and a popping cork/jig combo tipped with live bait--fantastic when mullet are moving...

The SC DNR website has a pretty comprehensive list of boat access areas--although the directions can stink. I think there's a big ramp on the Broad River (Port Royal Sound)... that's pretty central to the area.

Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the come back CB, ya guessed right, Kings Bay type...Whats "SpotTail" Red fish, Drum? I've got the latest in electronic charts & was going to ask around the bait shops as far as some likely locations to try to wet a line, any Tarpon? maybe Hiltonhead ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Navy guy myself (thus the "CB"). "Spottail" is indeed the ol' redfish. My experience in the creeks have been 4 or so pounds on average.

Couldn't tell you about Tarpon down there, although my buds in Charleston report catching puppies in the harbor. I know small blues were running in May--kept bitting the tails off my jigs... but nothing like what you have up there.

Still think your best bet is going out of Broad River (actually, I think the ramp is on the Colleton River). That will get you centrally located to Parris Island and north Hilton Head--but definately call a shop and get some local advice. Not sure if you've been there before, but you'll probably have to hunt around for a shop unless you're down in Hilton Head. Lots of them around, but the internet is new technology. Most come with a bar...

No secrets to the spartina creeks if you've never fished them. Motor on up on a mid tide and set anchor at the creek mouths (trolling motor or power pole helps). Work the column. Promise that reds, trout and flounder will be there. Just watch the depth and oysters--good news is that there are two tides a day, so you won't be stuck long :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome advice, I hear ya about having 2 tides, had to put the wife in the fish cooler one time to keep her warm & wait out the tide. She asked me if the Coast Guard would send a helicopter to drop blankets!! LOL ,she kiss the ground when we finally got in...Whats the fuel prices like down there?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I finally put a jack plate on the back of my boat because I got tired of poling it 500 yards a trip (you know, one more cast)--it paid for itself on the first day out...

Gas was 2.80 for mid-grade when I was there in mid-May.

Good luck! Hope you kill 'em...

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi CB, What size boat & motor are you running w/ that Jack plate? I was thinking that way too. Was it $$$. I'll try & post on our trip if I get around a computer somewhere... Thanks again for all the INTEL.. Later, Capt. STX

·
Registered
24 Posts
Capt, I've got a Key West 1720 with a Johnson 90 and platform. As far as the plate, I shopped around. Best performance I could find was Bob's Machine Shop--think they go for about $700 w/o install. Problem is that they have an internal hydraulic power unit that measures something like 8x8x12. The only option I had was to mount it under the console--but I keep my trolling motor batteries there. I would add that the guys at the factory were awesome to talk to. You can actually speak to the engineers...

Soooo anyway, I ended up with a CMC PL-65 from my friends at bass pro shops (CMC doesn't sell direct). Cool thing is that the unit is self-contained with the HPU integrated into the transom bracket, so no space problems. It gave me 5 inches of travel with about 3" of adjustment in the mount (total of 8" of lift). Maxed out, it puts the waterline right on the pickups--so no need for the extra couple of inches from Bob's.

It isn't as fast or as quiet as Bob's, but gets the job done. Unit was around $600 total. I had it mounted down in Charleston because I couldn't find anyone living around DC (where I was at the time) who had the motor jack to mount it. Cost $200 and about 3 hours to have it put on. ~$100 of that was a foot longer steering cable.

All in all, $800. Best investment I ever made. Not only has it saved my dinner a few times, but gets you nice hole shots too. Both models set back about 6 inches and accomodate V-6's up to ~250HP.

Shoot me a line on my hotmail, and I'll fire you some pix of the mount when I get out this weekend. Look forward to the report.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The boat & rig are loaded. Now I'm just waiting for the fun to begin.. heading South @ 0600.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tried for flounder & red drum, no luck... all the chatter(radio) was about some shark pullage but didn't have time. Did alot of sightseeing & moved on to St. Mary's ,Ga. stayed another 2 nights on Cumberland island. Ate alot of shrimp & caught shark for some pullage. Did tried for red drum & flounder again ,no luck. Did catch alot of spanish mackeral oceanside. WX is working. Heading for Destin, Fla, 10000 island, Miami & then back up the coast. Tuna bite is 60 miles out of Destin will find out.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts