Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the water around 7, ran around for a bit just to burn some gas off. Hit location X (brandon shores), made a few drifts. Things picked up when the tide started moving. Slow but steady pick of fish. Got 11 when the drizzle started, then we headed in. Fish were fat and fiesty, biggest aroudn 24", pics to follow if I feel up to it. Electric chicken curly tails were hot on a 1/4 or 3/8 ounce head. Fish were in shallow, 3.8-5ft mostly, 55 degree water. River was runnin btwn 42-44. Had a fish with sea lice, what do ya'll think about that? Got checked by the DNR, seems i need a new throwable, a bird decided to nest in mine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Got checked twice today. Once at Brandon and while pulling up to the dock at Sandy Point.
Same story for us. 11 decent fish. Largest 23" on a chartruese 5" curly tail grub.
The warm water shut down and so did the fish. We did manage to pick up a few
more after the warm water shut down. Wind switched from SW to NE and it got cold
and the drizzle turned to rain. 30 minutes of that and only 2 more fish we bolted.

Kevin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ya, I was there in the 33' cruiser. It was the first time I ever fished WWD, I had a blast. Caught & released 7 ranging from 18" to 25". Was a great way to start the year. 5/0 checked me too. He came over right as I was catching on just about every cast. Bad timing, then it started drizzling and I left.

I want back on Sunday and only got one 15"

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Nice Billy very nice. It makes the old Big E happy to see you out there jiggin'. You'll be hangin' up them planer boards soon enough. Bummer it started raining but it's nothing a little early times won't fix. Congrats on a good day.

-Evans

·
Registered
180 Posts
My brother in-law and his brother in-law flew in from Missouri on Thursday night.
We fished Friday (see report above) and went back on Saturday.
Cold and windy on Saturday morning but alot of warm water.
Caught 1 nice striper to start (23") then nothing. Two different DNR boats
paid us a visit then when ran back to Stony Creek to get out of the wind and ate lunch.
Came back to the WWD about 1:45 and the bite picked up. 3 of us caught 30-40
fish in 2 1/2 hours. We watched a man and a 10 year old boy absolutely slay them
for about 2 hours. The kid would hook up almost on every cast. They were anchored
in about 3 feet of water. The man went to the fly and was having a ball. I had fun just watching them. The kid was a real pro.

Kevin

·
Registered
180 Posts
Bill,

I don't know, Friday was my first time fishing the WWD.
Maybe it's like the Hotel California, they can check out but never leave? ;-)

Kevin

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr. E, I left the early times at home but had a few brews of course. The DNR checked my livewells and fishboxes. He got to the one that was overflowing with empty beer cans and said, "there sure arn't any fish in there." Good thing he didn't check my age, still got a little over a week to go. Congrats on the tuna trip, I am very jealous.

I have no clue how long it lasts, prolly some fish there all season due to bottom structure, but once there is no longer a 10degree difference in water I believe the masses will vacate. Maybe someone else can chime in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts