Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before and during the front, I was catching stripers- over half were keepers- regularly in the Severn. Now that the weather has stabilized, I can't seem to find them. I have heard the baitfish are moving further up the rivers- stripers following them further up? Or is the bulk of the activity with the breakers at the river mouths?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I fished the Severn last Friday, starting before sunrise. I think that the stripers in the river are pushing the baitfish into very shallow water and up against structure, for an easy meal. Some shorelines are still HOT for keepers. Inside Asquith Creek (the flag poll on the point),Brewer Creek (Sherwood Forest side), and the mouth of College Creek around the walk bridge. I think places like these will hold good fish until we see temps in the low 60 mid day. Just my 2cents.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I know where you are fishing - that area is often best on a NE wind. Bait gets pushed to the wall and Rock will feed right against it. Good weather with south breeze will push it across the river.

The " normal " pattern is the water cools off in creeks and baitfish leave and go into the main river. The 6-12 foot edges will be used to migrate towards the bay and warmer water.

The bait will stay at river mouth until it gets to cool - then move out into the bay and migrate along the 20-35 foot contour.

As bay water gets cooler - the bait moves south and towards deeper water in the bay.

Each day will see the bait and fish move - so hot spots come / go quickly. A lot hinges on water temp right now - few cold nights can drop temps in shallow creeks 10* but main bay will only drop 1 or 2 *.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fished the Severn last Friday, starting before sunrise. I think that the stripers in the river are pushing the baitfish into very shallow water and up against structure, for an easy meal. Some shorelines are still HOT for keepers. Inside Asquith Creek (the flag poll on the point),Brewer Creek (Sherwood Forest side), and the mouth of College Creek around the walk bridge. I think places like these will hold good fish until we see temps in the low 60 mid day. Just my 2cents.
I now know exactly who you are. That in coordination with wind and current does make sense.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
I don't know about other rivers, but I do know about the Chester River. I lived on and fished the Chester for about 25 years. This time of year was always good fishing for keeper size rockfish in shallow water with lures. Best fun for me was catching them with a Chug Bug surface lure, but they would hit other shallow water lures for rockfish. Some pretty nice size rock this time of year. I remember one time it was cold and over cast, I was getting a strike on almost every cast with a, I think it was a Bomber Long A, a lure like that. Maybe a 7" Rebel. Find the rocks/dark spots. I feel dirty, like an informer. LOL! I might be getting a few PM's soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts