Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been killing some time going for blue catfish on the Patuxent waiting for the rocks to start showing a bit better. Having decent luck just after dark about everytime we go. Been putting in around the Benedict bridge and working north and south of the bridge depending on our mood.

We live in the Lexington Park area and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the blue catfish anywhere on the Patuxent "South" of the Benedict area? Figured we could get by putting in closer to home and saving on gas if the cats were hitting closer to home.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
In real wet years, they will show up in the creeks further South. I know they are here on Hellen Creek, when I hear fish jumping on a warm day in February and see their telltale "orange flash" when they jump.

·
Registered
75 Posts
When I lived on the PAX we would catch them around the rock seawalls on the west side of the river below the bridge. Also pulled some off the ledges.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Does not look to be any good signs of them being far enough south, at least at this time, for us to worry too much about trying further down this way. Maybe someone will chime in and we can save a little gas money. ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well in the truck heading up to Benedict again. Too nice of an evening to poke around the house. Need to get some fish smell on me or the day just does not seem right. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info, I'm a pax river rat born and raised up north on the PG side across from Lower Marlboro. I have been fishing a fair amount for them but can't seem to get anything larger than 10-15lbs. Tried plugged bunkers as well as live perch, mummichog, and even smaller mud shad. The live bait works great but with the crazy currents up there live baits are hard to fish unless you are on the slow side
of a bend in the river on corks.

What size are down to the BBridge and what are they eating, haven't been south of Teagues yet but I want to see 1 river monster before I go back to perching and rocfishing.

QUOTE=Potomac Hooker;2909274]Been killing some time going for blue catfish on the Patuxent waiting for the rocks to start showing a bit better. Having decent luck just after dark about everytime we go. Been putting in around the Benedict bridge and working north and south of the bridge depending on our mood.

We live in the Lexington Park area and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the blue catfish anywhere on the Patuxent "South" of the Benedict area? Figured we could get by putting in closer to home and saving on gas if the cats were hitting closer to home.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Call Indianhead charters......
Thanks G-Man but we are booked with both boats till October. In October you can count on 300lbs of blue cat per day. Sometimes we get over 400lbs. Season lasts until mid December if weather is good enough.

Thanks again
Capt Mike
Capt Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts