Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what’s the biggest blue cat that’s been caught in the Patuxent. I went catfishing for the first time on the Patuxent Sunday. Put in at 231 bridge and fished from there up to Magruders landing. The biggest blue I caught was probably 12# or so and got smaller the further up the river I got. I guess my main question is 12-15# pretty common and they haven’t been in there long enough to grow to the sizes you see in the Potomac?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply’s. I moved up here not to long ago and wasn’t sure. I grew up in S.C. and fished for them pretty much my whole life. The upper Patuxent reminded me of the old Santee river back home minus the alligators.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks for the reply’s. I moved up here not to long ago and wasn’t sure. I grew up in S.C. and fished for them pretty much my whole life. The upper Patuxent reminded me of the old Santee river back home minus the alligators.
LOL, I grew up fishing the Pax and gator hunt in SC.

Automotive tire Tableware Plant Cup Asphalt

There's some big bluecats in Pax.
As water cools, they'll move and stack up.in deep holes. Tens of thousands of pounds being removed commercially and ain't put a dent in them.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
James river holds the record for Blue Cats in the rivers in the Chespeake Bay 102# That's where they were originally stocked before they moved up the Bay. They are diplacing the Stripers as they diminsh .

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,387 Posts
Is there a place to buy fresh gizzard Shad around that area or do you have to cast net your own?
. I know up here they're getting $5 each for them which is highway robbery. I threw once and got 86, took 3 of us to pull the net in and I gave all but 10 away. If you know where to cast net them, that would be the best option. Do be warned THEY STINK!!! They will make your freezer smell like fish and not fresh fish

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
. I know up here they're getting $5 each for them which is highway robbery. I threw once and got 86, took 3 of us to pull the net in and I gave all but 10 away. If you know where to cast net them, that would be the best option. Do be warned THEY STINK!!! They will make your freezer smell like fish and not fresh fish
Oh yeah, back home by some of the dams you can dip net them. To cast net them we would throw on the outside of grassy areas and sometimes run the boat into the grass then throw on the outsides. Works like a charm. Or find a creek they were in. I imagine I’ll find some in the creeks around here. Thanks for all the reply’s.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's illegal to cast net them. You have to get a Virginia recreational Gill net license. They are here year round......Gary
Fishing Tips:
  • Maryland has no regulations regarding gizzard shad

That’s from the Maryland.gov site. I’ll double check with DNR but I’m pretty sure it’s ok in Maryland. I know you can’t net American or hickory Shad, herring, or alewives.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,387 Posts
Fishing Tips:
  • Maryland has no regulations regarding gizzard shad

That’s from the Maryland.gov site. I’ll double check with DNR but I’m pretty sure it’s ok in Maryland. I know you can’t net American or hickory Shad, herring, or alewives.
The Patuxent has its own set of regulations.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
(2) A person may use a monofilament cast net or a monofilament throw net to catch baitfish in any tidal water of the Chesapeake Bay or its tributaries.

(3) In casting a monofilament net as provided under paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person:

(i) May not use a cast net that has a radius greater than 10 feet;  and

(ii) May cast a cast net only by hand.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Don't discount chicken breast.
Dieter Melhorn, Catfish Dave, Kayak Catfish, and MANY others swear by it including me.
My 43#+ from the Susquehanna was caught on chicken.
Search yt. It does not have to be, "spiked". That is, sweetened up with jello or anything else.
Open the package, chunk it up and start fishing.
Font Terrestrial plant Screenshot Fish Wildlife

·
Registered
460 Posts
Don't discount chicken breast.
Dieter Melhorn, Catfish Dave, Kayak Catfish, and MANY others swear by it including me.
My 43#+ from the Susquehanna was caught on chicken.
Search yt. It does not have to be, "spiked". That is, sweetened up with jello or anything else.
Open the package, chunk it up and start fishing.
. View attachment 283011
I switch baits seasonally, and chicken has been outperforming everything right now, including "so fresh it's still twitching" cut bait.

I do chunk it and soak it in strawberry jello mix and garlic powder a few days before use.
Son did some trials a few years back with different flavors of jello, all worked, he actually did best with lemon lime, lol.

I also tried it soaked in menhaden oil.
Worked, but caught those nasty stripers too.
But it didn't work as good as strawberry, at least for cats.

But have had days cut bait worked better.
Few times, bluecat was best bait.

Give them a choice.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I switch baits seasonally, and chicken has been outperforming everything right now, including "so fresh it's still twitching" cut bait.

I do chunk it and soak it in strawberry jello mix and garlic powder a few days before use.
Son did some trials a few years back with different flavors of jello, all worked, he actually did best with lemon lime, lol.

I also tried it soaked in menhaden oil.
Worked, but caught those nasty stripers too.
But it didn't work as good as strawberry, at least for cats.

But have had days cut bait worked better.
Few times, bluecat was best bait.

Give them a choice.
I was in the GP and caught a small BC.
Cut it up and caught a 30# then a 40#+ BC and some in the 20's.
The photos are in a thread here from last year.
A few years back on the lower part of the Flats, I used snakehead scraps. Caught em up to 20#.
The cats will eat what's available.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
If you guys don't want to eat them I hear there is a processing plant on Tilghman island that's paying 15 cents a pound for them if they have a market for them. Most watermen quit fishing for them because they can't give them away. There's going to be more and more of them for rec. fishermen. Catch em up,

1 - 20 of 66 Posts