Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friends,

Anybody know if rockfish can be found in the Patuxent this time of year? Caught some smaller fish trolling small bucktails about 70 feet deep a few weeks back. Wondering if these resident fish can still be caught deep in the Pax.:boat:

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I looked at your post because I want to know the answer as well. If no one posts a response, one of us is gonna have to get out there and find out first-hand :detective:.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found a good hole across from St. Leonard's Creek the weekend after Thanksgiving. A 70 foot hole. Caught numerous fish, all around 18 inches. Light trolling with 1/4 oz bucktail and a 4 ounce weight.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
I used to fish upriver at the Chalk Point power plant all winter long and catch rock to 30 plus inches . The colder temps the better the fishing was . That meant the plant was generating more power so there was more warm water coming out of the discharge canal . In those days we used nothing but a 1/4 oz red headed round jighead trimmed with a 4" white mister twister grubtail . If the fish were there then , I don't see why they wouldn't be this winter as well . In those days they were also stocking plenty of hybrids , or "wipers" and they were always a possibility . I don't think they do that anymore .

·
Registered
837 Posts
There's no decent fish at Chalk Point Power Plant in winter. Total waste of time:nono:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a really big boat to tacke the Bay but I can handle the Pax no problem. Just looking for some action to tide me over until Spring. I'm wondering if they sit in those deeper holes all winter long.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Try the green holly area w/ bottom bouncing rigs and single boxer head bucktails char head 2 oz. ch hair and pearl 6" shads w/ red backs, 16 oz inline 20' leader. Then try Hog point drop off and the shoal drop off near the bridge. This can be very good if the wind won't let you out on the Bay. Go slooooowly and you must feel the sinker hitting the bottom every so many feet. Try for 25 to 45 foot contour, not so much 70'. You may have to experiment w/ weight depending upon your tackle. Hope this gets you started. This was the ticket 15 years ago. I know it will work if the fish are there( they used to be at these places ).

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Try the green holly area w/ bottom bouncing rigs and single boxer head bucktails char head 2 oz. ch hair and pearl 6" shads w/ red backs, 16 oz inline 20' leader. Then try Hog point drop off and the shoal drop off near the bridge. This can be very good if the wind won't let you out on the Bay. Go slooooowly and you must feel the sinker hitting the bottom every so many feet. Try for 25 to 45 foot contour, not so much 70'. You may have to experiment w/ weight depending upon your tackle. Hope this gets you started. This was the ticket 15 years ago. I know it will work if the fish are there( they used to be at these places ).
Very true . We used to pick up a lot of trout doing the same thing in the same areas in the fall .:yes:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
What Michael said, the nastier the better. Funny you mention the trout, I actually caught them up in the canal in Jan one winter back during the moratorium. They musta got trapped in the river and headed for the warm water to wait out the winter. Used to be some nice hybrids in that area as well back then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put out at Forest Landing in Holywood and try to stay in the river when the weather is bad as well. I agree with TMACL about the shoal area south of the bridge i got my limit there twice this fall jigging off the bottom. I also did well 100 yards out in front of the rec center pier. I have tried Hog point drop off several times and got nothing.

Like TMACL said go slow.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have been fishing out of Drury's for the last 12 years or so and havn't had to do the pax river thing. Sometimes if the wind blew NE for a few days the fish would litterally stack up inside the mouth of the river. Made for a nice short boat ride. Some of these fish were in the 40" range! The trick is to locate multiple hot spots and try several based on your log books and insight. I now have 5 log books that cover everything from VA beach to Chincoteague to Pax to the Potomac to the Bay and they are cool to read when you are bored. Without a log book exact techniques and locations become blurred.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I used to fish upriver at the Chalk Point power plant all winter long and catch rock to 30 plus inches . The colder temps the better the fishing was . That meant the plant was generating more power so there was more warm water coming out of the discharge canal . In those days we used nothing but a 1/4 oz red headed round jighead trimmed with a 4" white mister twister grubtail . If the fish were there then , I don't see why they wouldn't be this winter as well . In those days they were also stocking plenty of hybrids , or "wipers" and they were always a possibility . I don't think they do that anymore .
Mike,

Pretty sure you're right about the aquaculture. That went out when the new owners took over. All the other stuff I'm not sure of either :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts