Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Anybody know if the perch are in the upper Pax yet?
Caught these a few Saturdays ago in the upper Pax on minnows. Fished hard with small plastics as well - in fact the exact plastics that were so successful in the Susky earlier this year - but had no takers. From some of the locals, there have been some good days, even 5-6 weeks ago but they have been harder to find this year in the Pax. Wish I could get down there more often.

2nd pic (courtesy of Keith McGuire) is of my mugg holding up 2 nice ones.

Tim

Attachments

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
What dock is that in the picture above? Private? I was going to start a similar thread as this one. I know little about the yellow perch fishery but I give it a half hearted try every year. I hit Waysons' corner or under Route 4 on the pax yesterday for about an hour. I got skunked on a cicada and fishing small tube jigs about 8 feet under a float. If I can't get them that way, I'm not going to fish the bottom rigs and one ounce of weight thing. If that's what it takes, then no thanks. I like to work and cast for my fish. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I later went down to Jug Bay wetlands sanctuary afterwards. I had never been there before and was hoping for easy access to the water. Well, no such thing. First they were closed to the public, I went in anyway, and there was no way to access the deep water from there. It's all about 1 inch deep wetlands there. I thought there was a long pier somewhere near there? Oh well. A canoe might get it done but you would want a fish finder to know your depth. The fish are all probably huddled in to the few deeper pools where ever they are. The water depth under Route 4 behind the pilings was pretty good though as I had a long count before my jig hit bottom. I'd estimate about 10 or 12 feet there in the center? One would think the fish should stack up somewhere where the river is impassible or more difficult for the fish to navigate. That would mean further up river somewhere and again, only accessible by boat unless you know someone with property on the river.

<o:p>I might try again tomorrow but fear that area of the river is only a bait and wait type of fishery. Too large of an area to allow the fish to spread out and not school or "Pool up" kind of thing. </o:p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts