Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with pennn320 GTI reels. The level wind guide hangs up when it is on ether end of the bar. Is there an easy way to fix?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Replace the worm gear and the paw that travels along it to level the line, parts should be less then 7 or 8 bucks[/QUOTe
--If its a older Reel Spare pawl may be in reel side plate --geo.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
I'd just change out the pawl at first. Nine of a ten times this resolved the issue.

The part number for the pawl is 047 975

·
Premium Member
26,230 Posts
Once you fix the problem - be sure to put a drop or two of reel lube on the worm gear and turn the reel handle for 20-30 turns,

The pawl is a very light piece of metal and with out lube it can jam up.

I lube the worm gear on my reels every other trip.Only takes a second to do and then the lube gets worked in while fishing :thumbup:.

It is an easy thing to overlook since the reel must be upside down to lube it.Never hurts to put a drop of lube on the handle shafy either.

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
As you can see , this is a common problem with the Penn 320 model. They don't seem to be
as "Bullet Proof" as the 330's are.
I have 14 -330s and 6 -320s in my arsenal. The frequency of failure of the pawl is identical on both models. Lubrication and maintaining the synchronization of the LW to the line on the spool is the key to longevity.

I changed my method of lubricating the level wind system from oil to grease and have experienced a significant increase in the life of the pawls on these reels.

I'm using Evinrude "blue" grease. You don't need a lot. Just enough to coat the surface of the worm gear an the tip of the pawl.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys just ooze good info. Crowbait I`m cheap and would like to know how to shim the paw. Thanks skip, seahunter, Capt. George, and crowbait. :yes:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
i know at least two friends that have had to return 330's and 320's after one trip due to level wind and or clicker failure. it was obvious to us that penns are not made like they used to. I have several old ones that have held up well to many seasons of just washing off with fresh water. I have been switching over to shimanos over the last two seasons when the problems with new penns became evident.

·
Premium Member
26,230 Posts
When Penn switched and went to China- the first batch of reels had all sorts of troubles.Loose screws/poor workmanship/etc.

Penn sent over some of their better people and got the problems fixed :thumbup:.It really hurt their reputation though and they lost a fair amount of customers over it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts