Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having problems with the Penn 330 GT2 reels? I bought my first two recently, and second time out one of them starting binding and popping as it was reeled. No big fish have been even caught on this reel. The level wind quit cycling too.
Suggestions as to a repair shop that could be recommended?
thx
Clint

·
Registered
839 Posts
I highly recommend Joe Cox to repair your reel. He is located in Prince Frederick, MD. He does it full time -makes great rods and repairs reels. He has a huge amount of penn parts in his barn. I dropped off 6 reels last spring and they all work better than new. Many charter guys and people on TF have used him. Super nice guy too. The Reel Thing Rod and Reel Repair and Custom Rod Building by Joe Cox - Home

·
Registered
105 Posts
had same problem after about one season of use.i recomend warrens bait box in glen burnie he fixed two spinning reels for less than 12 bucks.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
sea-saw....If those reels are fairly new purchases, I suggest you call Penn and send them back under warranty...

if not, call any of the above mentioned or give me a call and I'll help if I can, I'm in Pasadena...443-848-1074

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
sea-saw....If those reels are fairly new purchases, I suggest you call Penn and send them back under warranty...

if not, call any of the above mentioned or give me a call and I'll help if I can, I'm in Pasadena...443-848-1074
Ditto this.....I had a problem with a rod under warranty and Penn was great to deal with.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
im convinced...

penn are now JUNK.

i bought 6 220's for trolling/drum fishing last year. in only about 20 uses, they have all had problems: locking up, grinding noises, level wind sticking. im trying to get boaters world to take them back. hopefully the manager of the store will step up. otherwise i will have to send them back to penn, then sell them!

also, i rinse them after every use, but the corrosion on them is horrible. i have a coventional reel i got at kmart when i was a kid. been used to death, never rinsed... looks and works great.

no more penns for me. EVER! shimanos all the way.

my 0.02$

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
penn are now JUNK.

i bought 6 220's for trolling/drum fishing last year. in only about 20 uses, they have all had problems: locking up, grinding noises, level wind sticking. im trying to get boaters world to take them back. hopefully the manager of the store will step up. otherwise i will have to send them back to penn, then sell them!

also, i rinse them after every use, but the corrosion on them is horrible. i have a coventional reel i got at kmart when i was a kid. been used to death, never rinsed... looks and works great.

no more penns for me. EVER! shimanos all the way.

my 0.02$
Quality of Penn reels has definitely gone down the tube :confused:

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Keep your fingers crossed that Penn will come back to the quality we all remember.

I was told when Penn moved production to China- the big push was quanity.Alot of reels got built fast by new workers - recipe for disaster.Some reels had loose screws or not the proper amount of lube.Penn has since fixed (hopefully) all the troubles but their reputation took a serious hit.When a 345 costs $150.00 - I expect it to be well built.

I fish some Penn reels that are 25 years old and still going strong.Some of my newer Penns are only 6 years old but need repairing alot.I'll admit I fish them hard with heavy drags and braided line - that will wear any reel out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I recently bought some new 330/slammer rod combos for $90 each, a price too low to pass up, but was really concerned about what I was going to get based on reports I had read here of recent Penn problems. Well, so far so good. All the pieces were still attached when they arrived and everything appears to be working after the first couple of trips. Too early to come to any conclusion yet, but hopefully Penn got the Chinese workers set straight...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts