Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded the drags on their Penn 49's? I have a couple that I like to use for Mojo lines with braid (no wire--I can't even get some of the people I fish with to put mono back on a reel right:eek2:). I tested one last night and I am only getting about 11lbs of drag off the rod tip. I would like to crank it up a bit. Any ideas on how to do that? I currently have new metal washers and new greased HT100 washers.

Thanks
Hans

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Has anyone upgraded the drags on their Penn 49's? I have a couple that I like to use for Mojo lines with braid (no wire--I can't even get some of the people I fish with to put mono back on a reel right:eek2:). I tested one last night and I am only getting about 11lbs of drag off the rod tip. I would like to crank it up a bit. Any ideas on how to do that? I currently have new metal washers and new greased HT100 washers.

Thanks
Hans
Pose that question on Alan Tani's web site .

·
Registered
584 Posts
I assume you are talking about the Penn 49 mariner / super mariner series of reels.

You will need new drag washers. You can buy them at Tochermans, and Clydes, AKE marine and Anglers have them for reasonable prices. 1.00 - 2.00 a piece.

I almost use these reels exclusively for trolling in the bay, these reels are tanks and take a lot of abuse.

Yes they work better with wire line and lead core.

Down load exploded schematic of reel take apart replace drag washer. New washer should improve drag. When I talked to rep they told me to add an additional drag washer to increase the drag even further. I can now use the starr drag to completely lock up the real so be careful with novice anglers, they may break off a fish if they put too much heat on a big one.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sent a message to Alan Tani about this and this was his response:

"i think you are getting about as much as you can. i would change out the fiber washer under the gear to a #6-113 drag washer and use a stainless steel gear sleeve, but you are pretty much maxed out on the drag. the problem is the tall spool. the "lever arm" is too long. alan"

The stainless gear sleeve is the same one as for the 113 (available from pennparts.com)
I will try adding an extra pair of washers as well

Hans

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
11 lbs is a lot of drag for the bay.I doubt a 49 can give much more then that.You want a firm drag for Rockfish.

I set my drags by hand off the reel.I like it to where it takes a very good pull to move the drag.Most Rock under 40 inches do not move my drags.The bigger Rock will - if not, most likely the hook would pull loose.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Skip:
Have you ever actually measured how much a "very good pull" is? Just curious, not challenging...

Hans

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Drag and Stripers. Now that's an oxymoron.

This is what 20 lbs of simulated drag does to a 6 ft. long, Seeker- #50-80 rod blank. I've never seen a Striper bend up #50-80 rod anywhere near this.

Tie two bricks on the end of your line and try to lift them with the rod. That's only 14 lbs of drag!!!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Hans - assuming that you have all the parts in place and installed correctly, you should have no problem getting at least 15lbs of drag ( I get this on mine) with greased washers, which most have stated here will be more than enough pressure for use here on the bay...too much more pressure and you'll be creating too much stress on other parts of the reel ie - gears, bridge, frame etc...

You can get the stainless gear sleave if yu desire but that wont give you any more drag pressure...it will just last te lifetime of your reel...maybe longer:D

If everything is installed correctly, you may have just a little to much grease on the drag washers...another question is what type of grease did you use? Drag grease right?

...another thing to check would be the fiber washer (part# 4-60) as it may be worn out and slipping...you could replace it as Alan mentioned with a #6-113 which will give you more pressure since it will make the bridge stack a little taller...this will result in a shorter range of drag pressure though, meaning you'll go from a light drag pressure to full drag pressure within 3/4 of a turn of the star drag

...you could also replace the 4-60 washer with a #6-309 which will give you more pressure with a longer drag range or use a #6-155 which will be the same diameter as the#4-60; my suggestion - try the #6-309 to have the longer drag range

Also...make sure that you have the tension spring (part#8-60)in place too...it looks like a cupped shaped washer ) If not, this may be part of your problem...yo could also try using 2 of these in the )) position...

Good luck...give me a shout if I can help

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Years ago at a fishing show- there was a contest to guess the weight of a hidden object hanging from a rod.Guesses went from 15-75 lbs - the real weight was only five lbs.:D

Hans- I'll measure my drags and let you know.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys--all kinds of stuff to try!!:clap::clap:

Hans

PS: This is what this board should be about--not a bunch of political/racist ****!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
"PS: This is what this board should be about--not a bunch of political/racist ****!" :thumbup: :clapping2: :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts