Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I got a buddy who wants to sell me some Penn captiva liveliner reels. I normally stick with Shimano baitrunners but I would be willing to buy them if they are not total junk.

Do any of you have them? What do you think about them?

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
For the money- they are an OK reel.You get what you pay for in reels so do not expect them to hold up like the more expensive ones.

If he is selling them cheap- grab them.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
We didn't call them CRAPTIVA's for nothing ! Stay away from these reels ! I have sold a lot of tackle in my day . I have never in my life seen more of one type of reel come back than these other than a few types of Okumas . DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR TACKLE !

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have 3 of them and like Skip said for the money there ok.The LL drag screws up alot and the finish is not durable. the gold flakes off when you wash them. I would go with the shimano bait runners. My 2 cents for what it's worth

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
The bails will fail , the drags will stick , etc. , etc. I've seen it happen too many times . Like I said , ask any tackle sles person who has had to deal with the returns . It is why they are known as Craptiva ! Have I said enough ?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it!

Since you're so familiar with this stuff, one more question for you. How come so many people are buying 320 and 330 gti's? Whats wrong with 309's for levelwinds?

For trolling, I'll take a 113h any day but I am just wondering.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Got it!

Since you're so familiar with this stuff, one more question for you. How come so many people are buying 320 and 330 gti's? Whats wrong with 309's for levelwinds?

For trolling, I'll take a 113h any day but I am just wondering.
For the money , 209's , 309's and the older Penn Senators can't be beat for ease of operation , parts availability and over all simplicity . The older GTI's are also great reels for the money but the newer ones have had issues with the level winds . I am a big fan of Shimano Tekotas and I think they are superior reels for a variety of reasons . Does that mean I will retire my 09's or 113 Senators ? Hell no . They are the work horses that they always have been and will continue to be used in my spread .

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I tried a captiva, not a bait runner a couple of years ago and it didnt last a year. I would never buy another one.

·
Registered
755 Posts
my brother bought a 6000 series live liner and took it out fishing for blues. Lasted one trip before all previously stated issues arose. I love Shimano

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
My buddy bought a Shimano 3500 and kept it at my house since he only fished with me.......I used the combo on several occasions and liked it.....now if only Shimano made them in a 2500 size, I'd own a few. The Captiva's are pretty, but I was told by a bait store who sells them, that they dont hold up.......probally fine for the 6-12 time s a year fishermen.

Bill

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Got it!

The frames on the 309 are not the best. I've torqued the frames on both my 309s at one time or another. The one piece frame on the the 3XX series Penns offers better support to the spool assembly

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have a regular captiva and liked it OK until this year (3 years old) when the handle failed. The stem to the reel seat is plastic. Personally I don't think they are worth the $50.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I bought one in September and had to send it back to Penn for warranty work (still there.) The bail was sticking. Gold paint flakes easily. Won't buy another. Going to stick with Shimano Baitrunners.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Stores down here stopped selling them, to many comming back for repair.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts