Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shakespeare Fishing Tackle has acquired the Penn Fishing Tackle Manufacturing Co. Penn has been a leader in saltwater rods and reels for a long time. For those of us who grew up fishing with Penn reels, we hope the quality remains the same.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Im not sure what to make of it, every reel on my boAT IS PENN. FROM SPINNING GEAR, SENATORS, INTERNATIONALS, TuNA STICKS. GOT THE WHOLE shabang And now this:( I have owned shakesspeare over the years. Its ok if you are doing a little bottom bouncing or something but they are not known for long lasting products. the only thing I use now are the line counters at 11.99 each. I use 12 of them. I had about 4 and kept switching off rods but that got old quick. So I broke down and spent about 144.00 on them. At least one breaks each trip out. I can count on that. So I have another 6 in the cabin for when that happens.

I dont know...I hope I'm wrong...I have seen these buyouts before. We are a Penn family. Even when they were having the drag issues, I stuck by them. We shall see.....

·
Registered
379 Posts
This really sucks a big one...I have never had good results with shakespeare, other than an ugly stick rod. Ive got only penn rods and reels on my boat, I have loved the dependability that penn has offered in the past. Looks like now im gonna have to switch over to the Shimano's...

Lets hope PENN's quality name will last and the only change will be who pays the bills...

Tight lines

JOsh

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
202 Posts
First, I prefer Shimano.
Second, having worked in the manufacturing industry for many years, I would expect to see Shakespeare's quality to increase because of the purchase of Penn. Shakespeare bought Penn because they had a windfall of money (from their parent company K2, the ski people) and bought Penn's market share and brand recognition. They will undoubtedly start introducing Penn quality to their other offerings. Now with that being said, if Shakespeare closes Penn manufacturing facilities and transferres Penn manufacturing to Shakespeare facilities, that will change my opinion, but don't expect that to happen.

But then again, I like Shimano so I don't care.

·
Registered
76 Posts
On a similar note, I've started seeing Abu Garcia reels showing up on dealer shelves with Made in Taiwan stickers on them. Does anyone know what's going on there? Has this been going on long?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Look at any Penn, well at least the ones I have purchased over the last couple or more years. Has made in china all over it. Roads and r's. The Shimanos I recently purchased are superior to Penn. Cost a bit more, but feel smoother and I don't have to tear them down as much. I still like Penn, but the newer models, especially spinning, has a lot of plastic on the insides.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Some of you guys absolutely kill me. Like what you like, that's fine with me. But will one of you guys touting the Shimanos please look at the reel and tell me where they are made? I bet it says Malaysia. So there goes the theory that where a reel is made is the judge of it's quality. By the way, Okuma is also made in Malaysia. The top shelf Penn reels are still built in the USA, for whatever that is worth.

Will Penn go to **** now that Shakespeare owns them? I sure hope not. We'll just have to wait and see. But one thing is for sure, my Internationals sitting in the garage are just as good a reel today as they were a year ago when Penn wasn't owned by Shakespeare.

Personally I think Penn spinners are junk, at least anything they have put out in the last 10 years. I don't care for Penn's inshore converntional reels either. Shimano has them beat easily here too. As far as Penn or Shimano in a conventional reel for offshore, flip a coin or decide which shade of gold you like better. With the new drags I think both reels perform close enough to be a toss up.

The one big plus I see for Penn is that you can get parts for ANY reel they have ever built, period. That isn't true for Shimano. Ask the guys that still own Beastmaster's about it if you don't believe me. Hopefully Penn will continue with their parts support and Shimano will learn from their example. Competition is a great thing for us fisherman. Just look at all the improvements both companys have made trying to get a bigger market share by improving their reels and features over the last 10 years.

·
Registered
595 Posts
The Penn's I use are definitly made in America. I have and use a 6/0 that still has the box it was bought in, from 1957.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some of you guys absolutely kill me. Like what you like, that's fine with me. But will one of you guys touting the Shimanos please look at the reel and tell me where they are made? I bet it says Malaysia. So there goes the theory that where a reel is made is the judge of it's quality. By the way, Okuma is also made in Malaysia. The top shelf Penn reels are still built in the USA, for whatever that is worth.

Will Penn go to **** now that Shakespeare owns them? I sure hope not. We'll just have to wait and see. But one thing is for sure, my Internationals sitting in the garage are just as good a reel today as they were a year ago when Penn wasn't owned by Shakespeare.

Personally I think Penn spinners are junk, at least anything they have put out in the last 10 years. I don't care for Penn's inshore converntional reels either. Shimano has them beat easily here too. As far as Penn or Shimano in a conventional reel for offshore, flip a coin or decide which shade of gold you like better. With the new drags I think both reels perform close enough to be a toss up.

The one big plus I see for Penn is that you can get parts for ANY reel they have ever built, period. That isn't true for Shimano. Ask the guys that still own Beastmaster's about it if you don't believe me. Hopefully Penn will continue with their parts support and Shimano will learn from their example. Competition is a great thing for us fisherman. Just look at all the improvements both companys have made trying to get a bigger market share by improving their reels and features over the last 10 years.
my shimano sustains say japan:D

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
my shimano sustains say japan:D
That's before they out sourced there product. Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard the T W line of Penns are going to be hard to get parts for. I agree on the Penn spinning gear in the last 10 years are junk. I have 2 6500's in the shop now but we were pulling stretches with them also. But the 6500 that is 20 years old works like a champ. All my offshore reels are VSW'S and love them. All my reels are Penn. But like everyone else we will have to see if the quality is still there. Just my $0.02 worth.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
The Penn SS series of reels, when they went from the 650SS to 6500SS, went down hill. No more metal bodies.... all graphite. Seeing the "flex" in the reel when tugging on a fish is just plain scary. I picked up (2) 450SS and (2) 750SS reels at a garage sale this summer... sweet reels, the only down-side is no anti-reverse.

As for the quality of Penn products slipping... it seems that any company that's purchased by a company that produces lesser quality products eventually conforms to the new company's production/quality standards. I don't see this aquisition as being a good sign for Penn customers.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Penn is not still made in USA. None of them are. You may find some old ones lingering around that still say USA. After working at BassPro (yes im one of those idiots) I saw maybe 1 or 2 shimano reels returned. I saw a million Penns, mostly the 300 series conventional reels. After seeing my dad fuss with his penn 4400ss time after time while im bringing in fish next to him he finally let me pick him out a reel. I have quite a few shimanos, a couple Daiwa's and one Okuma (dont know the model but everyone needs one of these spinners. if you ask Bishop he will know just what youre talkin about). The best reel out of all them have been the Daiwa millionaire and an okuma spinning reel from Bishops bait and tackle. THese reel both marinated in salt water in isabell and ernesto (no i didnt learn my lesson the first time). Both still work incredible. As for the shimanos, i have two torium 30s that lay in the floor of my skiff and get banged up pretty bad. They still feel as smooth as the day i bought em. I wouldnt buy another Penn if it was the only reel left. If i came across a 10 year old international or senator HL/ HLW id buy it in a heartbeat.

As for PoqParker25 - reels shouldnt go bad unless you use them... :D
And if i remember correctly your Penn ss series reels were cryin catchin drum bait that last summer...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I could be wrong but had understood a private investor in North Carolina was buying many old and well known American fishing brands. Penn as well as Shakespere.

Of course the result is the same buy the name take production to China.

Boats

·
Registered
3 Posts
Penn hasn't been the original Penn for several years now. Dick Henry, who owns Star Rods and Sea Striker tackle, among other things, together with the fellow who owns Master rods, bought Penn from the original Philadelphia based company. Since then most of their rods and reels, except for some of the high end offshore stuff, has been made overseas.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Thats the story I heard too. I suspect the Shakespere story is part of that purchase. You can still by high quality American made tackle from small shops like Accurate and Newell or from the best place of all for quality American made goods, EBay

Boats

·
Registered
212 Posts
sorry darren but your statement about being able to get any parts on penn reels is completely false, i've had a 30w international only 5 years old sitting in the tackle shop waiting to find a part because they don't make spares anymore for this reel, been there for 6 months or better paid 500.00 for a reel they can't get parts for anymore, shimino willl be my reels of choice from now on, i don't care where its made you pay that much for a reel you should be able to get parts, i might as well throw it in the trash.........

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
If you really paid $500 for a 30 I feel sorry for you. Give me a reel model and a part number and I will get the info for you.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Coastline Service Center in Goldsboro NC has never failed to suppy a Penn part for me. Even if the factory does not have it Coastline does. They have a large stock of spares for Penn and Abu

706 N William St # A
Goldsboro, NC 27530

Tel: 919-736-3859

Boats

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
sorry darren but your statement about being able to get any parts on penn reels is completely false, i've had a 30w international only 5 years old sitting in the tackle shop waiting to find a part because they don't make spares anymore for this reel, been there for 6 months or better paid 500.00 for a reel they can't get parts for anymore, shimino willl be my reels of choice from now on, i don't care where its made you pay that much for a reel you should be able to get parts, i might as well throw it in the trash.........
Not disputing your word but I find this to be VERY odd. 6 months and still waiting !

If you haven't already I would make a b-line to the tackle shop and ask to see your reel just to make sure that it has not been lost, stolen or sold.:eek:

As Darren said provide the information on this forum and I bet we can come up with the part (s).

Here is Penn's web site. http://www.pennreels.com/03_service/parts/explist.htm

Click on the reel model for an exploded ,view get the part (s) number(s) and then call Penn's toll free number. If the part(s) are in stock they will ship it (them) to you.

If that works I would go pick up my reel and tell those folks to stick it. Bring it to someone else to have it repaired.

Please report back here if you were successful or not.

This is only an unsolicited suggestion.

Dennis:)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts