Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lookin to get a good sturdy rod for offshore bottom fishing/jigging in deep waters /wrecks for seabass, lings, blackfish etc... then i came across this rod- Penn International Torque™ Jigging Casting Rod while at cabelas. hav any1 tried this rod & if so is it good for for this situation:confused:. will pair it with a Daiwa Saltist 20H With Levelwind loaded with 65lb sufix braid!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Torque rod

Yeah they're good. I have two of them. I haven't hooked into anything real big yet, but they've been great for deep bottom fishing. Friend of mine landed a 33lb cobia on one with a torium 30. No problem. I have my heavier one set up with a torque 200 reel w/65lb powerpro. Hope to test it out on a tuna soon!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I don't think it would perform that well as a deep dropping rod if you are bait fishing. They aren't designed to have 20 plus ounces on them, and it will load them up from the beginning. You'd want a jigging rod rated for 600 grams or better. Penn, Shimano or Starr doesn't build one to that spec. You'd have to look at Shimano Japan, Hotts, OTI or Jigmaster for a 600 gram rod.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I have tried it and I like it.............. have caught Tile, amberjack and tuna with mine which is a Torque 100 and I also use the Penn Torque Rod and both do everything that I want to do w/ it, the 100 doesn't hold enough line to bottom fish in the canyon. A friend that I fish w/ regularly, like it so much that he just bought the Torque 300 and Paired it w/ the Torque rod and I think the 300 will do anything you can imagine with plenty of line capacity. I give both a :thumbup:.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tried it and I like it.............. have caught Tile, amberjack and tuna with mine which is a Torque 100 and I also use the Penn Torque Rod and both do everything that I want to do w/ it, the 100 doesn't hold enough line to bottom fish in the canyon. A friend that I fish w/ regularly, like it so much that he just bought the Torque 300 and Paired it w/ the Torque rod and I think the 300 will do anything you can imagine with plenty of line capacity. I give both a :thumbup:.
fishboy01 im more concern with the rod not the reel!! i have a daiwa saltist levelwind for the reel!!!:clap:

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don't think it would perform that well as a deep dropping rod if you are bait fishing. They aren't designed to have 20 plus ounces on them, and it will load them up from the beginning. You'd want a jigging rod rated for 600 grams or better. Penn, Shimano or Starr doesn't build one to that spec. You'd have to look at Shimano Japan, Hotts, OTI or Jigmaster for a 600 gram rod.
I have 2 of the OTI 600g rods, one casting, one spinner. Great rods and would work alot better for what you want to use it for as Darren has stated. They are reasonable compared to what your looking at. If you want to go all out get the Jigmaster 600g, sweet rod.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Oti 600g would be a great rod for your purposes and is sold at a reasonable price point. I have been very happy with mine deep dropping and jigging tiles and wreckfish.

I had a custom acid wrapped Jigmaster 500g made for tuna jigging last year and it's da bomb.

GregL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts