Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a brand new Penn International V 5'6" (80-lb max line w/ Penn VSX 50 reel) rod in March 2014 for $360 pre-tax. Hadn't caught a fish on it until 2 days ago (rod now out of warranty) when I hooked a 60-lb blue shark off OC MD. In the chaos of the fight, I set the rod in the rodholder while shark was at the boat. Grabbed the leader, then slipped and let go, and the shark pulled downward at a severe angle and the top 8 inches of the rod broke completely off (see photo). I had just less than medium drag applied. It's now out of warranty and Penn only offered to replace the rod at *my* cost of $220 + $20 processing fee (pretax) and would waive shipping -- only $120 less than I bought it for. Questions:

1) Because I set it in the holder and subjected it to a severe angle load, is this all my own idiotic fault and any rod would have broken in this situation?

2) If #1 is correct, should I just take Penn's offer?

3) If #1 is not correct, what other brand rod would anyone suggest I buy in this class of rod with my Penn VSX50 reel and 80-lb line? Love the 5'6" length.

Much appreciated suggestions, thank you.

Rod Close UP.jpg

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I did the exact same thing many years ago with a PENN rod but with a big tuna. I considered it fault in the situation since they are not designed to be twisted up heavy load. I took it back to the retail store (GreenTop in Richmond, VA) to see if they could do anything for me and they replaced it without a question.
I would take PENN's offer so the rod match the others in the spread. And remember to back off the drag in those situations.

I use all Pinnacle Marine standup rods now and never a single issues with them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
If this was my rod, I would accept it as my fault. These Penn Int. rods are nice and light but they were not made to that kind of stress. Also, I think Penn's offer is a reasonable one. If you don't need to send back the broken rod, I would consider building another rod using salvageable parts locally also. I have been happy with Calstar blanks, though I still use Penn Int. graphite rods for lighter duty trolling.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: with a little more pressure from me, Penn offered to replace the entire rod with just a $19.95 processing fee which includes shipping. So my doubts about Penn rods have been resolved; they're still a great company.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts