NEWS RELEASE

Shakespeare Fishing Tackle Division January 17, 2007
3801 Westmore Drive
Columbia, SC 29223
(803) 754-7000

SHAKESPEARE FISHING TACKLE ACQUIRES PENN FISHING MFG. CO.,
A LEADING SALTWATER REEL COMPANY

For Immediate Release
Columbia, SC – Shakespeare Fishing Tackle, a leading manufacturer of fishing rods, reels, fishing line and accessories is pleased to announce the acquisition of Penn Fishing Tackle Mfg. Co. Founded in 1932, Penn is the market leader in saltwater trolling and spinning reels and saltwater rods.

These products include the famous Penn International®, Senators®, GT, and GTO trolling reels, as well as Slammer® and Spinfisher® SSM and SSG spinning reels.

“For 75 years, Penn products have been the gold standard for offshore, inshore and surf fishing,” according to Scott Hogsett, President of Shakespeare. “Shakespeare is excited to be able to add Penn’s broad assortment of saltwater products to complement the current Shakespeare, Pflueger and All Star freshwater, inshore and saltwater offerings.”

“We look forward to bringing to Penn the vast new product introductions and innovation that our customers have come to expect from Shakespeare and Pflueger each year. The Penn name is one of the greatest brands in fishing, but has lacked the resources to grow and develop markets. Our volume and economies of scale will allow us to reinvest in the brand and grow market share.”

Shakespeare is a K2 Inc. company, a premier branded consumer products company with a portfolio of leading brands.

For more information, contact Mark Davis, Director of Advertising and Public Relations for Shakespeare Fishing Tackle, at (803) 754-7000 x. 3105

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't think the Penn reels will ever return to the quality that they once were known for. Being sold again may be a better move for them but I will keep phasing out my Penn's for Shimano's. My new Shimano reels are much nicer than my Penns but I will keep the old classic Penns that were produced when they were family owned...

·
Registered
976 Posts
oh no

I think this is a huge step backwards for penn. I have quite a few older and a few newer penn rod and reels and am very satisfied with them. Some of them were handed down to me and are probably 30 years old. Over the past few years I have bought all kind of diiferent brands; shimano,abu garcia, daiwa, ocean master, you name it I've bought it. Out of all of them, the ones with the shakespeare name on them were some of the worst pieces of junk I have ever owned. One of the reels didn't even last for a bottom fishing trip for croaker!!!. Just my opionion and you know what they say about those.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
as i was telling someone the other day.....

the newer penns aint worth a ****

i had a brand new 330 that was bound up....i had just taken it out of the package.
i have a 9500 spinner that the spool drags
even the new senators have issues.

on the other hand...

i have a bunch of 350's , 309's, #9's....that al work geat, dispite being worn slam out
i got a pair of 9/0's that my dad used for 20 years beforee i got them....they stil got original drags and bearings....killed many bluefins at the hot dog with them...

i started converting it all to shimano about a year ago...20's, 25's, charter specials, bait runners....

best thing about shimano...they make almost everything in a lever drag and star drag...

i really think penn screwed up when they "merged" the first time

danny

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
guess you will be able to buy a Penn 320GTI for $16 at wallyworld soon

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
That's all I can remember fishing w/ growing up as a kid.
I think that the rods are still made offshore and the reels still in the USA?
Anyone heard anything similar or conversely?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I still have and use a 109 my dad bought at the PX in Key West in 1967. The only thing I've done to it is take off the old dacron line and put on mono.

Mark
1999 Sportcraft 230 C/C

·
Registered
514 Posts
Somebody told me that a lot of the Penn reels have been built in China for 2-3 years now. Not all models, but most. I know some old timey Capts who have shifted over to Shimano high end offshore reels over the past few years. That speaks volumes to me... I do have a Penn 330 lever drag that I like. Drag is pretty smooth, etc. Fairly new, so time will tell.

Bill

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have a few of the Pflueger Contender lever drag reels. For the price, not a bad reel. They are great for Stripers, Bluefish, & small Dolphin. Hooked a big tuna by accident this summer, it smoked that reel. This is G15L which is a lever drag-level wind and you can buy it in a combo. They do make larger model reels.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I still have and use a 109 my dad bought at the PX in Key West in 1967. The only thing I've done to it is take off the old dacron line and put on mono.

Mark
1999 Sportcraft 230 C/C
I have a Penn 85 we also got on the base PX in in Key West in 1964. Caught a citation striper with it off the kayak last week. It actually performed better than my Shimano Catala.To my knowledge, it's never been apart either.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I spoke to a Penn sales rep about 2 years ago about Penn equipment being manufactured in China. He told me the International series would continue to be manufactured in the USA. Hopefully, Shakespeare will take the necessary steps to reposition Penn as an industry leader and not just re-label Shakespeare products.

Glen

·
Registered
2 Posts
recently purchased Penn 220. Used twice and fell apart. Spent about 3.5 hours trying to reassembe the darn thing. I'll never by a Penn again!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts