Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with a Penn 180 Seaboy. I inherited one and i'm trying to figure out it's best usage. Looks to light to troll with to me. jigging?
Also if you have used how do you keep the line even on the spool? line recomendations etc.

I know theres lot of experiance out there so let it rip

Bret :usa:

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
Hey Bret...

First of all, to keep the line even you "thumb" the line. That is, use the thumb on the hand that is holding the rod above the reel, move the line back and forth while reeling. Nice old reel.

The following info is from PENN 180 REEL SPECS

Gear Ratio: Line: Capacity: Weight: 3:1 20 lb. 250 yds. 12.5 oz First Year Manf.: Before 1941 Discontinued by Penn: Late 80's

REEL INFO: Baymaster - These lightweight reels are ideally suited for light tackle fishing. All reels in the series are equipped with free spool action, sliding click and one-shot lubrication system. Also available with a metal spool. (1966 Penn Catalog)

HISTORY: This reel was manufactured for the first time before 1941, with a plastic spool, and wasn't discontinued until the late 80's, when it was replaced by the 180L. In 1941 models were not part of any series, but by 1958 this model was given the name "Baymaster" and the 185-model was added to the series. In the late 80's the metal spool was the default, but the plastic spool was still available as an accessory.

Name/Series: 180, Baymaster

Construction:
  • [SIZE=-1]
    Chrome plated brass spool provides strength and better line capacity.
    Rigid frame.
[/SIZE] Features:
  • [SIZE=-1]
    Multi-disc drag.
    Free spool action.
    One-shot lubrication.
    warning clicker.
    Counter-balanced handle.
[/SIZE]

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
There you go. I have a couple old "Ocean City" reels that were passed down from my Uncle Lou who got me hooked on fishing/crabbing..

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric

Thanks for the info

Looks like I might have me "classic"

Mike- thanks for the shout out

thanks guys
later:usa:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Bret is that the one you brought to WAF last year? You could light tackle troll with it and jig with it easy.

Dave

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it might be the same one.
Not sure- CRS is kicking in this week bad:D

BTW- we are booked:fishing2: :bigfish: :fishing2: :bigfish: :fishing2: :bigfish:

I plan on bringing one in the boat this time:yes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts