Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For what seems like most of my life, I have fished primarily with Penn 4300SS and 4400SS reels. They been good reels, and I've had them serviced and cleaned on a number of occasions, but they are getting old and need to be replaced.

I need some advice on an inexpensive replacement. I found a bunch of Penn Captivas on ebay for cheap, but I have never used one before.. are these reels worth a ****?

Any other suggestions for inexpensive reels would be helpful... I've gone back to college this semester and don't have the $$ to blow on fishing tackle that I used to.

·
Registered
875 Posts
CRATIVA is not the word for it.....flat out junk. Do your self and favor and spend the extra 10 bucks for a Daiwa BG seris. Granted they don't have unlimited anitreverse but I have one that was bought 10+ years ago and I have only replaced the bail spring once. I have only used the Captiva twice and the handle is already loose. I took it back to Bass Pro. The guy took it a part and basicly told me it was the nature of the beast. All the guts are plastic.

Bill Fisher

G

·
I'm a diehard and still love my old Penn's. I just bought a brand new 320 GTI on ebay last week for $51.00. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I like the penn slammer rls. Mine has held up well over the last 2 years and I fish them often. I owned the first years captiva and it sits somewhere in a landfill. I'm embarrassed to say I ever got suckered into buying one.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I still use the Penn SS reels. They can always be rebuilt, do it yourself or have PA or Wilcox take a look at em. If you need new ones buy the graphite ones, I have only one of the newer Graphite ones.

I have a 3 Penn 6/0's that I use offshore that are from the 1950's.

Just slap some oil on em!!

Eric

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I have an 8500SS made in USA if anyone is looking for one. I'm not actively looking to seel it but I have never used it. It's just too heavy for me. Possible trade?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm another die hard Penn fan and agree with the idea of fixing the old SS reels. I've got 7 or 8 of them from the 430 up to the 950 and have only had to get them repaired after using them to the point of wearing them out. After coming from the shop they felt like new.

Other than that I'd save your money and buy a Slammer series. I've got all 4 of them and love them.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Captivas

I've got 5 captivas and use them almost everyday and have not had a minutes prob. with any of them. Now, I would suggest getting a Shimano Sedona if you want to go with shimano or just spend the money and get a new SSM.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.