Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help Upgrading from Penn GTI 320 to either Penn 330 or Shimano TR200G These will be used to drag the umbrellas and heavy stuff this spring. I know the Penn 330 works because I have a couple but just thought I might find something better. Any help would be appreciated . Thanks but

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
If you're looking for something "better" than a Penn 330, maybe you should start looking at Avets or Accurates. Accurates start at $999.99. :eek:

But seriously, the 330 GTI is one of the best (for the money).

·
Registered
406 Posts
Unless you fish with inexperienced people that need the help of a levelwind I would get a Shimano TLD 25 over the Penn 330... I have both reels and the like my Shimano much better... If you get the 330 I would get the newer model Penn 330 LD which has the lever drag instead of the star drag. The new LD on the 320 and 330 is nice but still prefer the Shimano. It will drag all the heavy stuff you want and also makes a great offshore rod which you really don't want to use levelwind reels for like tuna or white marlin fishing.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Switch over to the Okuma T20L's. Much better than the Penn 330. Has lever drag and power handle already installed. Around $115.00 a piece for one or $110.00 each in quantity.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have used the Shimano Charter special TR2000 for 5 years now. They are an all around awesome reel. The only thing I have had to replace on them is the clicker. Have caught a ton of large fish on these reels. Check em out and good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Capt Wayne Thanks for the heads up on the Okuma's. I have 4 of the two speed 50's and they have been good reels for offshore. I will give them a look before going back to the 330's Gti's. Just feel that they might be a little light , but they are good reels. Dave Thanks for the info on the Shimano I'm going to check them out.. Thanks to everyone !

·
Premium Member
26,173 Posts
IMHO-the 330 aren't made to pull heavy umbrellas.I use 345's for the monster rigs.330 is great for tandems but will give out after a few years pulling big fish in on umbrellas.The 113H is a real workhorse but is not a level wind.I use mine more then most people so I tend to see problems sooner. Skip

·
Registered
192 Posts
interesting thing about the 320 gti. it has a basically the same gear and drag cluster as a 4/0 penn 113h. it gives you a HUGE amount of drag pressure. it also has line capacity that's similar to a squidder. this is an advantage if you want to run spectra. and even with mono, a couple of hundred yards of 30 or 40# mono is all you would ever need. the graphite frame is dog ugly, but very strong. it has two spool bearings. there are several handle upgrades agailable.

what i'd do is pull the drags and grease them with shimano drag grease, pop out the bearings and pack them with yamaha engine grease, lube all the other non-exposed metal surfaces with yamaha engine grease, pack the levelwind assembly with grease, and replace the handle with a penn 4/0 power handle or penn international handle. it's a real diamond in the rough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts