Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to agree with Penrod on saving he Upper Chesapeake Bay and Potomac Tidal Bass fishery. Closing the Bass season to C&R only from March 15th. to June 15th. makes good Fishery Management Sense . Pulling Bass from their nests, putting them in a live well, transporting them miles away, then dumping them, or hanging them on a stringer isn't my definition of Bass Sportsmanship. There's several Bass Fishing shows on TV now that have a judge on board that weigh the fish then immediately release it. If we want to see our Bass Fishery come back, this will play a big part in bringing it back. I'm sure this will ruffle some feathers but I really don't care. The fishery belongs to all of us.http://www.penrodsguides.com/fishingreport.htm

·
Registered
432 Posts
I agree completely. Tournaments are a big problem on the upper bay. In the few years I have been bass fishing there I have seen an obvious decline. I know much more now then I did when I started and I catch fewer and smaller fish. There are multiple tournaments every weekend of the year except December - February. It makes it not too fun to go and see dozens of other boats.

Imagine how the home owners feel to have bass boats parked on their docks nearly every day during the season.

I caught three on my only outing this year, and based on the tourny results posted on Penrod's site that was above average.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I fish both the Potomac and Upper Bay and have for a long time. Tournament pressure is bad and definitely the root of the decline. In particular, exploitation of Maryland waters by out of state tournaments (Pennsylvania, New Jersey). Those guys fish their regional tournaments on Maryland waters and have no regard for the sustainability. Most of them are a pain in the ass to fish around, as well. Too many big tournaments in the most critical time of year. I don't know how the bass ever get a chance to spawn. It's ridiculous. In my opinion, PA and NJ should host their state qualifying tournaments on their own waters. Stop raping ours. Its not our fault that you live there and the fishing isn't as good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts