Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am another potential newcomer to kayak fishing, and am interested in the Perception Search 13 at BPS. I haven't seen any reviews or comments on this kayak on Tidal Fish or Kayak Fishing Stuff. Does anyone have any experience with Perception SOT kayaks?
I will be mostly fishing skinny waters around Kent Island and Eastern Shore rivers with the kayak. Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I know nothing about this kayak, but would venture to say if you haven't heard anything about it here or at KFS there's a reason.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Zigh, I ran into someone launching a Tarpon 14 at Hillsboro today. Looks like a nice boat. He said he's had it 2 years and loves it, more than his previous Ocean Kayak. I'll have to look into Tarpons, thanks for the tip.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
The Search is a Tarpon clone, with a little more rocker. It was designed to compete ith the Ocean Kayak Prowlers. Knot Right has one.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I bought a Perception Caster 12.5, which I think was the forerunner to the Search, and love it. Paddles true and easy to handle, steady and took 1-2 ft waves around Gwynn's Island fine. Had been debating between Tarpon 14, Prowler, Redfish and Liquid Logic Manta before I found this, and liked the combination of storage, layout and low "gunwales" near the seat, because I like to swing my legs over the side and drift fish a lot (esp. good for fly fishing). Easy to rig as you can reach most anywhere inside, except the far stern. Only real disadvantage I've found is the seat holds water, would have been nice to have a scupper there. Price was right too, $500 from Appomattox River Canoe Company. However, from what I hear they're more popular on the Gulf Coast than the East Coast, not sure why.

All that said, I obviously like what I've got but it may not be for you. As others, esp Cory, has said over and over, go to a demo and try out different boats. Or get with one of the kayak fishing groups and try theirs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts