Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an opportunity to take dad out fishing with me today. I was trying to jig up Rock while he worked over the perch with worms. Glad to report that he landed 8 perch over 10 inches:clap:. He is pumped and would like to eat them. Question is, how should we be cleaning and cooking them? Thank you.
Mike K.
Upper Upper Bay

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
certainly since the perch are on ice waiting for some help... I fish on the Upper Upper Bay, today we hit Turkey Point with little luck, then moved up to Rocky Point where there is a rock pile 20-30 yards long east of the channel. We stayed there for about 2 hours with non stop perch action and small rock 14-17" which I was using a stingsilver. It was fun. Now I need to find some larger Rock on my next trip.
Mike K.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
My favorite way to cook perch is to fry them whole. I gut 'em, scale 'em, slice slightly down the sides, sprinkle them with old bay, salt and wonder flour, and put them in a cast iron skillet of hot grease. Turn 'em once. The bones come right out leaving you every bit of the meat and the tails are better than potato chips. Here's a couple of 11 inchers done that way from earlier this year.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I deep fry them whole.
Scaled, gutted, pull out the gills or cut off the heads. Coated with Zateran's
You don't need too much oil. Just a couple of inches. They cook fast and when they float they are done.
The best thing is this works with even the small ones.

They are one of the best eating fish in the Bay.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Yes fillet like a rock, start behind the head and then cut to the tail, flip over the fillet while still attached to the tail skin (its easier to hold that way) and skin it.

Dip fillets in milk/egg, shake in a paper bag with house autry, drop into preheated 360-375 degree oil (peanut is my favorite) in an electric fry pan (or fry baby or whatever that holds the temp stable), cook a couple minutes and flip and then cook a little longer til the fillets are golden brown, then pull them out and put on paper towel to drain.

I agree with Joe, perch are one of the best eating fish in the bay!

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I fillet all my perch no matter how small, cover them with washington fish fry, then fry them in butter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts