Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing Rod and I are tentatively planning a Perch trip to Allens Fresh on Sunday, March 18. Post up if there is some interest. Rod says the Pickeral may be active too. This is about 1.5 hours south of Baltimore.:fishing2:

Mike Norton

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
If Calvert Cliffs isn't happening yet, which I am determined to do in the yak, I'm probably in.

PS - that means, of course, that I just took delivery of my new Adventure. Brighter orange than I remember... maybe I need to use some 303 a little more diligently.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
People have told me not to do it, but I'm not convinced. So there's a big rip... once I'm out of it I can just paddle/pedal around it to get back. Actually, the nay-sayers just make me want to do it that much more. I'm waiting for the first report (with fish, that is) on the main board and I'm headed down.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are going to use that adventure be advised there are some very shallow gravel bars at Allens Fresh. Depending on where you launch, I usually launch at the second bridge from rt 301 and paddle down to the Cedars, checking out the deeper holes for prespawn fish. Then I paddle up stream to the honey holes. Be carefull of the shore fishermen, they can be a little intimidating.

I hope to get out there this week, my son has our yak transport in the body shop for a month, have to haul them in the pickup but it's a short trip to the Fresh. History dictates that a good snow storm in March sets off the Yellow Perch spawn, hopefully tomorrow will help.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Bruce, thanks for the heads up about gravel bars. I hit Allens Fresh this past November using my brothes Hobie Sport and the mirage drive was getting caught up from time to time. I probably will just leave the flippers home, put in the plastic insert, do it the old fashion way and use the paddle!:D

There was an AF report on PierandSurf.com One guy posted a pick of a FAT 24" pickerel! Good luck this week and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Well Sawyer, if you have a stinkpot I'd be glad to tag along. Worst case scenario, I get out there and check it out and paddle away...

You're just another nay-sayer making me go. Everyone's always talking me out of RIPS fishing... first it was cape may, now Calvert Cliffs. :yawn: to you all. :cool:

:nono: Ha ha on the key floats :nono:

I'll be the first to say "you were right" if it doesn't work out... but am expecting instead you'll have :bigfish: envy.

Man... look at me ranting and raving now... I need to get out on the water!

Josh,

Have you fished the rips before? You might want to see it from a stinkpot before you brave it from the yak.

You may also want to buy one of those key floats before you go.

Sawyer

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well Sawyer, if you have a stinkpot I'd be glad to tag along. Worst case scenario, I get out there and check it out and paddle away...

You're just another nay-sayer making me go. Everyone's always talking me out of RIPS fishing... first it was cape may, now Calvert Cliffs. :yawn: to you all. :cool:

:nono: Ha ha on the key floats :nono:

I'll be the first to say "you were right" if it doesn't work out... but am expecting instead you'll have :bigfish: envy.

Man... look at me ranting and raving now... I need to get out on the water!
Josh,

I took a group trip through the Calvert Cliffs RIPS with the Chesapeake Paddlers Association. We launched at Flag Pond and traveled south to Cove Point Light. I was in my WS Capehorn 160. NO BIG DEAL> I spent some time playing around surfing in it. It definately gets rough but you would be fine. :rockon:

Personally I was much more nervous about crossing the inlet in OC MD. Man that water really rips through there.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
:rockon: Sean... thanks for the intel! There was some debate a few weeks ago over whether you could launch there... good to know.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
:bigfish: Sorry, only giving you 12.75" :clap:

Nice Job on the perch - that's one fat girl there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks! Yeh, that was the first big momma of the weekend, and I thought Scott had a nice largemouth!!! We are talkin' girth!

Several of us are going back to the spot Saturday morning, if anyone is in the Williamsburg, VA area... Drop me a line.

John "Toast" Oast
Williamsburg Kayak Fishing Association
Peninsula Kayak Anglers
http://wkfa.org/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.