Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the wind blowing so bad, decided to stay close to home. Went out of columbia island marina up to Fletcher's got licenses and crawlers. Fished first bend past boathouse and caught nothing. Moved halfway to Key Bridge and caught about 30 whites in two hours, no herring on the Sabiki rigs, no cats or rock on cut bait. Most of the perch were small males, with a couple around 8-9 inches. Crawlers outfished bloodworms two to one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
How is that ramp at Columbia? I always use the ramp at the airport but that is a zoo sometimes. Is there a fee? Thanks

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Try this the next time you fish down there : If the fish aren't thick at White Sign , ( Walker's Cove) , or out in front of Fletcher's , head all the way down river below Key Bridge til you're adjacent to Roosevelt Island and throw the hook . The bottom is all mud , very few snags . The perch will stage here in massive schools if the weather doesn't suit them . Alot of years , the biggest fish will just stay down in this area to spawn . By far the best bait for truly monster whites is a live minnow of some sort . Bull minnows preferred . If they are really biting I can tear them up on 3" Power Grubs rigged on double dropper loops and 1/8 oz jig heads . My favorite color is Natural / Chartreuse Tail . Color of the haed doesn't really matter . I'll bet my bottom dollar there are some big ones sittin in there right now . Give it a shot .

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
White Sign is on the Virginia side down stream of the boathouse . There used to be a prominant white sign on a tree at the small cove there . It had some sort of regulations on it . As I remember it was a PFD warning . This whole area requires wearing a life jacket but hardly anyone does . If you get checked they normally just tell you to put one on . The cove there is called Walker's Cove . Directly accross on the DC side is Walker's Point . As you move down river from the boathouse , you will notice the small cove and will see the big eddy there . The edge of this eddy is a good place to start . I usually jig for perch while dunking a herring head or belly point for Mr Zebra as Joe Fletcher would say . Forget shad fishing around Roosevelt . Concentrate on perch , stripes and monster catfish . I once got a 25# channel to the boat on a very small jig there only to have him pull the hook . No net and when I tried to grab him he wasn't having any of it !

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
colombia island

Bluecat, colombia island is great, nobody's ever there, $5.00 fee, they also serve food and beer.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I was just passing by Fletchers @ the scenic overlook. One boat and two shore fishermen, and that was it. Had pole in the car, but no tackle. Pole had a 17 tony, which I thought about for a second and thought better of it. I'd look ridiculous. Couple more days....

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
If you see this guy , watch and learn . Better yet , ask him if he has any of his homemade jigs for sale . He is truly the dean of perchin' at Fletchers . You may see him or Animal rowing boats out while standing up and facing forward .Locals will know who I'm talkin' about .

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Perchin with grubs? I tried it the other day from a boat in 30' of water. The depth finder was lit up with perch but I couldn't get to them. I was using a 3 inch power grub on a 1/8oz head, 6 pound floro, ultra light rod. I think it was just too light. I couldn't get down to them and never felt bottom. Do you add more weight? That would max out my ultra light rod though? Sure I could use a 2 oz sinker and a bottom rig with bloodworm but that's a lot more weight than I want to use to catch 9 inch fish.

Should I go shallower? Deeper? More weight? Less weight?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Perchin with grubs? I tried it the other day from a boat in 30' of water. The depth finder was lit up with perch but I couldn't get to them. I was using a 3 inch power grub on a 1/8oz head, 6 pound floro, ultra light rod. I think it was just too light. I couldn't get down to them and never felt bottom. Do you add more weight? That would max out my ultra light rod though? Sure I could use a 2 oz sinker and a bottom rig with bloodworm but that's a lot more weight than I want to use to catch 9 inch fish.

Should I go shallower? Deeper? More weight? Less weight?

Thanks
I use a simple hand tied rig . 4 loops total . One for the sinker , 2 above it to attach the jigs and one on top to attach to my main line with a swivel . I'm telling you now , the perch can be very selective as to what they will eat during dramatic weather changes . I never use bloodworms at Fletchers . Big minnows first , small minnows second all the while trying to catch them on different jigs . Sometimes the bait of choice will turn out to be small pieces of cut perch ! You have to experiment . When the water is right , jigs will get you all you want . Trust me grasshopper !:D

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Another method for catching rockfish there is to troll with shallow to medium diving plugs . I have an ancient 6 hp Merc I'll throw on the back of a rental boat . I bring along some clamp on rod holders . If the perch aren't thick out front I'll head down river . After slaying perch for a while or if it's getting late , I'll troll Cordell Redfins , Rebel Jawbreakers or sometimes a big swim bait . I just casually troll back upriver headed for the dock and BAM ! Big rockfish on . Very productive and hardly see anyone doing it . It usually brings on some questionabl stares from other anglers until they see me hook one .:yes: The benefit of these plugs is that you can troll them near alot of snaggy areas as they don't run very deep and you don't need trolling gear to pull them . I hope this helps .:fishing2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts