Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perfect day - weather wise , fishing was so / so.

Managed to get out of work early enough to get to Sandy Point at 1:00. Late start has one advantage - friends who were out in morning clued me in to where fish are. One friend was well south - other far north. Tough call on which way to run - neither really loaded up on them.

Launching the boat I noticed the water level was low - but it was high tide in just one hour - hmmmmm ? Ran out to bay and decided to go north towards Podickery. Having looked at old logbooks - had rough idea where fish should be. Water temp. was 61* - about where it should be and even saw Monarch butterflies over the bay - had noted these in logbook as well.

First few areas did not hold any fish - new fish finder is awesome at 25-30 knots. The detail is great - I can search really fast for fish now. Decided to run NE up towards Chester - stopping few times over scattered blips / bait pockets. No luck so went over Love Point. Meter would go barren when in water 25 feet or less - so I narrowed search area to deeper waters.

Found nice marks near LP marker - tried them for about 2 hours with only one hit.

Hard to believe no solid hits - tried all sorts of tricks while trolling. Slowing down , hard turns , trying all direct directions , changing weights and lures. Had to keep watch as there are a lot of crab pot floats in deeper waters now. Pulled in trolling gear and tried LTJ - still no hits. Current had started to move out going - even that did not trigger the fish to bite.

Hated to leave fish to find fish but decided to go to Sewer pipe to see if any fish were there. Running down - got an alarm on port engine - low oil. Checked the 3 gallon tanks - both were 3/4 full of two stroke oil. Quick call to Ed Miller - he advised pulling cowling to check oil level in that tank. Tied a rope to cowling - trust me , these things are $$$$. Sure enough - oil level was below the low level line - hence alarm.

Ed asked when I had last changed the oil filter - I said never. Honestly did not know the remote tanks had filters. Engines are 10 years old - way overdue. Added oil to engine tank ( hint : keep a gallon and funnel onboard ) - fixed trouble for rest of the trip. Ed ordered filters for me. Heck of a mechanic :clapping2:.

With that minor problem solved - continued searching for fish. It was calm enough I could see 3 miles or so with binoculars - very few birds around.

Sewer pipe held little in deep water and nothing inside 25 feet. Beware - lot of crab pots real close to pipe. Went to bridge and jigged - one hit ( maybe ) and one snagged lure. Did find few interesting things with side scan - including yet another ladder. This makes three so far. South of the east bound bridge - crab trap floats are close to pilings.

Worked west - watching few guys jigging pilings but did not see any hook ups. Eastern rockpile had 7-8 boats - I avoided that area. Swung by western rockpile and jigged over one pocket of fish but no hits.

Current was moving nicely so I went to plan B. Had 1/2 dozen large bloodworms from Anglers. IMHO - well worth it and much better value then standard dozen. Logbooks told me to look in 25-30 feet off Dollys lump and soon I saw blips tight to bottom.

Dropped anchor and sent over two rods - each with high / low bottom rig with 1 inch piece of bloodworm. The bite was subtle but Perch were nice size. Best was just under 12 inches - I threw back any under 10 inches. It was about 5:30 and just a perfect evening. Sun was low but still good hour of daylight left.

Stern was facing south with current - made it easy to fish two rods. Only used two of the big worms but caught about 35 Perch in total. Saw a boat running from Annapolis at fast pace - more / less aimed right at me. Ever since Jill Carrie got hit while anchored - I've been more vigilant about other boats while I'm anchored.

Sun was behind them - visibility looking north / north east ( their course ) was excellent. Boat was fast approaching - damn near on collision course. I waved my arms but did not see any change in course. Boat looked to be traveling over 40 knots - no time for me to move at this point.

Finally saw barest change in the bow - boat went past my starboard side - maybe 50 feet away. Looked around 35 feet - triple engine dark hulled Donzi. No idea way - nothing near me for a good mile. I just shook my head and grabbed the rod that was dancing with a Perch on it.

Not two minutes later - heard someone call the Donzi on VHF 68. Asked why he ran so close to him - guess I was not only one. Donzi owner replied back - My boat is bigger. At this point - I just laughed.

Had enough Perch for dinner and sun was dropping so headed back in - leaving time in case engine alarm came back on. Noticed how low the tide was on pilings - trimmed engines up a touch once in the jetty. Not often you see it this low.

Got to ramp and DNR officer stopped by to check the catch. On way to get truck - other boater warned me about end of ramp - he said another boater had gotten trailer stuck. I thanked him for warning - thankful I do not have to bury trailer. FWIW: End is marked on pier with yellow paint and signs.

Putting boat on trailer - almost had a bad fall. I'm used to stepping down near truck but with extra low tide - it was about 3 foot drop to ramp , rather then normal one foot step. Saw the difference just as I was about to go - dusk is always tricky time with my eyes.

Was extra careful not to slip on slimy part of ramp - crazy how low the tide was. Leaving the park - had to stop twice to let deer walk across the road - the are so used to trucks - they just amble out in front of you.

Got home and washed off the boat - weather was still quite nice. Cleaned the Perch - tough to beat fresh Perch fillets.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Skip the tank oil filters are s breeze to change out. Just flip the tanks upside down and they are tucked away nicely on bottom. Couple wire ties on lines and done. They are directional so be careful installing. Also hold on to the old ones they can be easily cleaned and reused. I keep a spare in drawer in cabin for the just in case situation you had. I have had to change them before while rolling and pitching offshore.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Skip the tank oil filters are s breeze to change out. Just flip the tanks upside down and they are tucked away nicely on bottom. Couple wire ties on lines and done. They are directional so be careful installing. Also hold on to the old ones they can be easily cleaned and reused. I keep a spare in drawer in cabin for the just in case situation you had. I have had to change them before while rolling and pitching offshore.
Skip, are you running OX66s? If so, I didn't know they had filters on the engine tanks either.

Thanks for the report. I can almost taste those perch! Once again, while you were fishing, I was sitting in a meeting! The fish need to learn how to be caught when us weekend warriors can fish for them.

- Ron

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Skip,

The same thing happened to Kate and I a couple years ago while perching the live hard bottom just north of Thomas Point, but it was a 40 foot express console. The boat bore right down on us a full speed, and changes course at the last minute, missing us by 50 feet. I didn't know weather to take his numbers down and report him, give him the one finger salute, or moon him. I just stared in shock as he sent a huge wake our way.

Anyway, it looks like you got a great meal with those tasty perch. Thanks for the intel! Do you think that they will be there long? I'd like to get Kate out one last time this season.

Don

·
Registered
353 Posts
Don't feel bad Skip, when I bought Graybeard boat off him, the second trip out I had the same alarm going off and I talked to him about it and the filter hadn't been changed since he bought the boat and he didn't know there was one either

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reel World - thanks for advice. Filter looks easy to change - getting to the two remote tanks is going to be fun. On my boat - have to take livewell out to access them.

whalerron - I have 2005 HPDI's. I'll assume - Yamaha uses same 3 gallon remote tank for all their two strokes.

Rivercat - I catch Perch up until January most years. They slowly move deeper - in December I'll find them in 55 to 70 feet. The area off # 86 is good area to try. They school up in large numbers - once you find them - it's easy fishing. I use bloodworms , grass shrimp or small minnows. Lures will work too but fresh bait is deadly.

Jethro - good idea with cell phone. Only trouble - not sure legally they did anything wrong. It was much closer then I get to other boats - but they might feel it was far enough away.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Skip, The rule is: You are responsible for your boat wake. This applies in the open bay, if a boat passes too close for you to have the time to take action to avoid damage to your vessel or injuries to persons on board. Photo or film can make the case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts