Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well it was worth a try.Left the ramp at 8:15 with Mike (Century 2000 ) and my dad.The bay was flat as glass-in Febuary !!! Water temp was 36* which is too cold but what the hell-boat needed to be ran.Didn't see anything on the way to the plant except a few gulls.One had a fish in it's beak.:)) Hopes were high but as we got close to the rips another boat was leaving.Bad,bad omen.High tide was at noon so we decided to cast until flood tide.Mike tried chart. and I used white.Then we tried opening night,then albino shad,then green glitter,then blue glitter,then 10'' BKD's-you get the idea.Switched jig heads from 1 to 1 1/2 to 2 ozs.Lost a couple to the bottom:rolleyes: but no fish were around.Terns were picking at the water and Mike spotted very small (2'') silversides that must have been hurt by the intake.My dad kept the boat in perfect position for casting and updated us on the water temp. which only got to 38.5*.:eek: Showed Mike an easy knot to connect line to leader and he "tested" it on a few snags.I even went to 20 lb. Flouro leader (shut up Blue Lou) as I was desperate for a bite.Plan to try again in about 10 days-minor maintance needs to be done to the boat.Ride back was just as smooth.Be careful of the small white obstruction marker on the north side of the discharge-it was underwater by 1' with incoming water.Also a few stray crabpot floats in 20' near the plant.A few more weeks and I'll post something good. Skip

So calm even a Parker could do it !!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
At least you gave it a try and picked a good day (if there is one) to get skunked. I'm surprised that the water temp in the outflow is only 38. It should be warmer than that. I wonder if they were doing some maintenance and had something shut down. Temp differential should be something in the 40's I would think.

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim-the flow was good but when the bay is cold 2-4*'s is about the differance. Skip

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bottom knocker-a fishfinder shows alot of clutter due to the swirling water.Kinda like going right behind a ship in the bay.Trust me-if I thought there were fish there-we would still be casting.:D Skip

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for the report,maybe you guy will have better luck in 10 days.Honest question;The colder the water gets,the less chance the fish will feed or was it the tide being high?

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rock like water at least 42*s.45* is better-50* is time to call in sick.Tides can affect the water temp. ie. high tide in morning -the shallow water warms up maybe 3-4 *.tide starts out and this warmer water gets carried out to deeper water.Same would be true if high tide was before daylight-falling tide would be colder water. At 38* water is the most dense-meaning it will be found deepest.Right now there just aren't any rock around.When the bay warms to 42-45* they will begin to migrate and feed.Baitfish (shad,herring ,etc) won't enter the bay until about 40*. Hope that helps. Skip

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
809 Posts
At least you got out. Thanks for the report Skip.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks!

We really couldn't have asked for better weather today...maybe a fish or two, but as Skip said, it was just a bit too cold. Thought we had a few hits a couple of times but undoubtly it was just the bottom giving a friendly tug back. Threw just about everything we had- and of course gave up a few ounces of lead to the fishing gods so it can only get better. Thanks again for the time out Skip...sure beats sittin in front of a computer:D

Mike

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
If that boat you saw leaving was a Parker, he probably caught all the brave fish and scarred all the other ones off :D We finally got some water back in the Magothy and after work I got 3 Pickles fooling around in Deep Creek. The water there was in the mid 40's

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No GB it was not a Parker.It was way too rough today for Parkers to be out. :D :)) :yes: Gawd-we all need some fish-soon. Skip

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Thanks for the report Skip,least you got out.And your dead on about the tides affecting water temp,I was just reading a article about that this mourning;)

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Skip, The real reason you didn't catch anything is that "THERE ARE NO FISH AT THE RIPS." You may as well give up now and cut your loses.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Was eagerly awaiting your report, Skip. Still good info no matter what. I spent the evening getting the boat ready. For what it's worth, the 15 Day weather forecast shows above freezing temps and highs in 40s and 50s every day, so hopefully the water will warm fast. -Shawn

·
Registered
855 Posts
Skip you are full of the best kind of info.....the kind your not afraid to share:D ....Nice to see knowledge shared here with others. At least you got to test your leader connections on those large "rock" on the bottom:eek:

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
this brief warm spell might just be enough to get them heading up the bay

1 - 20 of 34 Posts