Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
taking the wife to Italy

anybody use Perillo tours

O yea I have culture, its just all in my undies.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
tired of going to the beach every year

want to see some of Europe, especially Venice Rome ect.

Just have heard all kind of cool things about Italy.

G

·
My wife and I were married in Venice and spent two weeks in Italy on our honeymoon. We absolutely love Italy and we're looking forward to going back again. We flew into Milan and out of Rome and drove 1200 miles during the two weeks. We loved the Amalfi Coast and plan to go there again on the next trip. We didn't care much for Florence, although many people regard that as the highlight of their trip. We found it touristy, expensive, and difficult to get around.

We rented a car and had a vague idea of the areas we wanted to visit, and then booked hotels when we found a cool place.

This is a personal preference, but I saw quite a few people there that were on bus tours and I repeatedly remarked that I would want no parts of that. Everywhere we went, we'd see groups of people standing around a person with a sign or a closed umbrella being held in the air. These were the bus tour groups re-grouping around their guide in the designated area roughly at the designated time. Everybody would have to stand there waiting for the whole group to reassemble before moving en masse to the next stop. Lots of blue-hairs on the bus tours.

I agree with Jean-Paul Sartre that "Hell is other people," so the bus tour (and cruises for that matter) are not for me, but you may feel otherwise.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea but if you go and do your own thing,

wont it just be a big pain renting this reading that map checking rates for this and that

i just kinda thought a tour would make life easy

no planning this or that

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've taken trips and done it both ways. For me it would depend on how adventurous I was feeling at the time, or whether or not I felt comfortable driving in a particular location. Sometimes you just wanna sit back and relax. It's hard to see the sights when you're driving.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Steve, I went to Europe in 90 for 10 weeks without a tour - didn't want to be held back by an itinerary that I didn't write. Did a ton of research up front, got a Eurorail pass and went at it - if I wanted to stay somewhere longer I did, if I didn't like somewhere I left, and if I heard about something else cool to see I changed plans and went. It was awesome!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kurn you and I were much younger in 90

the only adventures spirit i have is changing the channel on cable tv.

yea like Nu said

someties it just better to sit back and take it in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If I had it to do over, I'd do it the same way - only with hotels rather than hostels this time!
Unless of course I was on a Mediterranian Cruise...

·
Registered
692 Posts
If I was taking up residency there, (10 wks [smile]) I'm sure I would learn the lay of the land and go wherever my spirit led me.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Like Kurn, I did the Eurorail deal years ago and loved it. Relatively cheap and lots of freedom to divert.

My best vacation ever was a Med cruise. You can see some of Italy this way but with ovious movement restrictions but what an easy, pampered and relaxed way to go. No bags to drag, one day excursions, great food and wine every time, clean, much less chance of criminal encounter. But, I wouldn't mind doing Italy on a moter bike either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
[Q]nu2fishing originally wrote:
If I was taking up residency there, (10 wks [smile]) I'm sure I would learn the lay of the land and go wherever my spirit led me.
[/Q]
We didn't really take up residency in any one place! The beauty of it was that I got to see 8 countries and picked exactly what places I wanted to go! [grin]

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Don't go the "cheap" route. If you're worried about the money, don't go. Get some tapes, learn a few words of Italian. Once they see that you are at least trying, they will speak to you in English better than yours.[smile]

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
we went to europe last sept . used eurorail pass for month all the rail systems use it and the trains are the best way to travel . you get a sleeper and take the train overnight to your next destination . two books you will need are Rick Steves travels in Europe & Europe for Dummies .

we started out in spain did france & italy also . in italy we went to florence , pisa , rome , napels & the amalafi coast , finished up in venice .

if you have any particular ? just bmail me and I can answer them . one note , I planned this trip for a year and still had a few loopholes in my plans . most of you reservations for hotels , etc can be made over the net .

go have a great time we sure did .[smile]

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the Perillo tour is 4500 for 2 weeks and 5 cities, all i gotta do is show up

I;m sure there are pros and cons to both routes

but 4 me, convience is everything.

·
Registered
692 Posts
[Q]kurn originally wrote:
[Q]nu2fishing originally wrote:
[/Q]
We didn't really take up residency in any one place! The beauty of it was that I got to see 8 countries and picked exactly what places I wanted to go! [grin]
[/Q]

The taking up residency for 10 wks was a joke. I don't think I've ever had the circumstances (or made the circumstances) to be gone anywhere for that length of time unless I was moving there. Having married at 18, first of 4 babies at 19...10 weeks of moving around at will would have been unthinkable. But I'm finally getting to the point where it may be a consideration.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
[Q]stevesea originally wrote:
the Perillo tour is 4500 for 2 weeks and 5 cities, all i gotta do is show up

I;m sure there are pros and cons to both routes

but 4 me, convience is everything.
[/Q]That includes airfare, right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts