Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was throwing for bait at the polls last night. I caught a gill net that must have made its way to the bottom. The thing was loaded with dead catfish. I have one of the float balls that has the mans name on it. Anyone know who this might have been? If they do, I hope he has a good excuse bc I am going to call the GW if he doesn't. Do yall think thats the right thing to do. Would it be wrong to post their name?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Madtom - don't be mad ! I have (temorarily) lost my gill net in the same spot. I started it out in 6 ft of water and the tide was rolling in and by the time I got the other end in the water(with 20lb wts at each end which is overkill) and dropped it in what I thought was about 10 ft. - the whole net disappeared. I spent over an hour looking for it and after breaking off 4 lines on structure I finally (big smile I might add) found it and took my 3 shad and ran. I don't think it's worth embarrassing someone over what is most likely a mistake. Give it back to the guy and maybe he'll thank you and cover for you one day. I can promise you he did not leave a $75 net in the water on purpose. How bout it. by the way my number is 555-5555. Striperjoe [grin][grin][grin]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
That is a shame. Seeing that he had his name on the bouy tells me he was trying to play by the rules. That says something about him. Most folks don't do that. I know one guide who puts his out, only one bouy, and you have no idea where the heck the thing is stretched out. Someone I know even ran over it, and got cussed and blamed for it.

If you know him or can find him, just tell him what you found.

Dayton

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think it should be returned if the guy has his name on it. I see alot of un-manned gill nets with out names on them, and only one bouy, especaily before tournaments. I think that if there all by there lonesome without names or dirc. bouys, they are yours for the taking.Gill nets are not to be left alone and returned to.Unless you loose it i guess.[excited]

·
Registered
153 Posts
I fish by myself a lot and it can be tough sometimes with the gill net. I have lost a net recently and spent countless hours trying to recover and even returned at low tide still with no luck. I believe a log or something got caught in my net shortly after setting and it dissapeared quickly with the tide early one morning. If it has my name on it I will take credit. Anyone on this board that knows me will tell you i will only leave my 50ft net out for about ten minutes at a time and will always stay close to monitor. If it is mine i also have my license number on it as well. Please let me know if it is, i sent you a b-mail. Since I lost my net i only use the cast net so it doesnt happen again. Completely accidental, My appolagies to anyone that may be pissed over the lost gill net. As ethical fisherman we all have the duty to take care of our waters and the fish to protect them for generations to come. Madtom I have sent you my number if you would like to give me a call if it turns out to be my net.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IT was your net Willis. I can't return it, We draged it near the bank. Stunk to bad to have in the boat. I guess you guys are right **** does happen. But remember at 2:30 in the morning pulling up a net full of rotten fish just made my day.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Yep, stuff happens. It is just one of those things. That could happen to any one of us.

I know that smell, MadTom. One shad left in my boat a while back was enough for me.

Dayton

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hey I left a bag of shad in the trunk of my 63 impala back in 65 for about 3 days.Found out in front of Raffies Pool Hall in Hopewell and put em in the trash can in front of it. They had been in the trunk for about 3 or4 days.Now you know why Hopewell used to smell so bad.
The whole time I was smellling it in the car I thought it was a girl I had in there that weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts