Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Efforts are being made but so far the EPA and DEQ are trying to protect every thing ( thier butts and Omega) but the environment.
They are resisting even Classifying the industrial waste Omega dumps from their ships every time they load the boats.
Seeing all the pictures they can not deny its happening any more lets keep the pressure up!

I know that the crushed fish waste I saw leaking out of a storage trailer made the tomato plants there grow Hog wild!
(the tomatoes tasted pretty good too)
I call that fertilizer.. Something the EPA and DEQ is supposed to be trying to stop from entering the bay!

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just my opinion and may not be that of the person that started this petition.

The water being pumped back into the bay is loaded with organic matter ( crushed fish) . When this organic matter breaks down it releases Nitrogen ,phosphorus and other nutrients back into the water. (much like fertilizer does on soil)

And per the EPA:

"Too much nitrogen and phosphorus in the water causes algae to grow faster than ecosystems can handle. Significant increases in algae harm water quality, food resources and habitats, and decrease the oxygen that fish and other aquatic life need to survive. Large growths of algae are called algal blooms and they can severely reduce or eliminate oxygen in the water, leading to illnesses in fish and the death of large numbers of fish. Some algal blooms are harmful to humans because they produce elevated toxins and bacterial growth that can make people sick if they come into contact with polluted water, consume tainted fish or shellfish, or drink contaminated water.

Nutrient pollution in ground water - which millions of people in the United States use as their drinking water source - can be harmful, even at low levels. Infants are vulnerable to a nitrogen-based compound called nitrates in drinking water. Excess nitrogen in the atmosphere can produce pollutants such as ammonia and ozone, which can impair our ability to breathe, limit visibility and alter plant growth. When excess nitrogen comes back to earth from the atmosphere, it can harm the health of forests, soils and waterways."

EPA:http://www2.epa.gov/nutrientpollution/problem

the fish being crushed is part of filtering system in ecosystem that is supposed to handle "normal" amounts of the nutrients. We are talking a Industrial amount of waste water every time they load fish!
Also note the increase in bacteria. The red and brown tides we all are seeing more often and in much larger amounts every yr.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think this is just another angle of attack in the war. While admittedly no scientist, I expect the waste is loaded with bacteria from the fish, high concentrations are not health, especially for beach goers while omega working within a half mile of the beaches. I read the paper everyday and the past few years there have been quite a few beach closures south side with no explanation, such as recent rain. One theory, was seagull ****, yeah right. I think I have a better idea of where it came from.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I guess i should have asked if anyone that created the petition has taken any water samples from the Bay water adjacent to the fishing vessels when they are discharging the water in question and what were the results ?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
So your saying they are still doing this or is that water not considered "bail" water? If they are still breaking the law then evidence should be produced to get the desired result your looking for.

According to court documents, Omega Protein violated the Clean Water Act from May 2008 through September 2010 by allowing its Reedville-based fishing fleet to discharge fish waste combined with water and pollutants into the Chesapeake Bay. By law, that kind of waste discharge, called “bail,” is only permitted when vessels are more than three miles off shore in the Atlantic.

·
Registered
356 Posts
That is where Omega should be fishing. 3 miles out. Far away from the protected bay and our beaches. They have a gentlemen`s agreement not to get close to Virginia beach tourist because Virginia Beach would not stand for it and take them to court.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts