Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to increase my trolling spread for the spring. Have been using Penn 330's for a while, and have been eyeing up 5 additional rods.

My problem, I have stumbled across a deal on some Pflueger Contender 30 Leverdrag combos. While the reel is not levelwind, it holds plenty of 30 pound test and is a lever drag which I prefer. Anyone have any feedback? Should I just sit still and fil in my spread with the Penn 330 rigs I have been satisfied with, or is his Pfleuger reel worth looking into?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I believe someone just posted a thread with the same question. These combos are drawing some attention. Let me see where the other thread is..

IMHO stick with 330gti

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
This was posted a while back in the hulltruth...

alantani

Posted 7/28/2005 10:56 AM (#695158 - in reply to #692900)
Subject: Re: Pflueger Contender G30L

Location: saratoga, california the titus, okuma and pfleuger reels are definitely a lower shelf line. i don't think anyone would dispute that. there are several problems that i have seen as well. along with the guys at eastcoasttackle.com, i would also recommend that you avoid this line of reels. lever drag reels, in particular, can be problematic.

first, there are the general problems associated with using dissimilar metals in a salt water environment, along with the cheaper alloys and poor anodization in these cheaper reels. please understand, i'm a pharmacist, not an engineer, but it doesn't take an engineer to spot corrosion around screw holes and other areas.

second, there is the issue of the poor quality bearings that are used by these reels. they are packed with grease to protect them from corrosion and hide their poor performance. when the bearings are cleaned out and properly lubed, you can spin the spool and feel the roughness. replacing bearings is expensive, from $8 to $20 each.

lastly, there is the drag material. i consider a combination of carbon fiber and teflon grease to be the gold standard. some, actually many, would argue that. regardless, i'm looking at a zero failure rate for a thousand reels a year over the last 5 years. now, the test that i recommend to determine the reliabilty of a drag system is as follows. you fill a 5 gallon bucket with water. you dump in the contents of a carton of salt (26 ounces), stir well and add reels. leave the reels submerged this salt water solution overnight, pull them out, set them in the sun for a week to allow them to dry, then test the drags for smoothness. you're thinking this sounds ridiculous. perhaps. but a greased carbon fiber drag system will still perform flawlessly after this amount of abuse. why would you settle for anything less? i don't think anyone would argue that the canvas or composite drag systems in the tica, okuma and pfleuger line are "less."

the lever drag models from these cheaper manufacturers really should be avoided. a guy just brought me an okuma titus 15 and shimano tld 15 to work on. both were badly worn. i fixed the shimano in 20 minutes. i put 2 hours into okuma and it's still not right. it looks like the softer "graphite" side plate is deformed, the soft brass main gear is shredded, and the bearings are trashed. as far as the star drag versions go, there is hope. it's actually a simple matter to yank out the cheap composite drags and replace them with greased carbon fiber. then you just have to grease all the screw holes and non-exposed metal surfaces with yamaha engine grease and lube the bearings with corrosion x. pretty standard stuff.

i'm glad that there are guys out there with lower shelf reels that are still working just fine. it speaks to the level of care that you give to your equipment. those reels that suffer water intrusion will find that situation rapidly changing. so if salt water intrusion is a probability....,

i would stay away from pfleugers for salt water.

Edited by alantani 7/28/2005 10:59 AM

·
Banned
859 Posts
penn 113H, nothing more, nothing less. perfect for the drag of tandems or umbrella rigs. personally, 30lb is a lil light considering drag of bigger lures. doesnt leave much extra for a hard hit, esp if using a reel w/ chitzy drag.

·
Banned
859 Posts
im glad he talked of greased carbon fiber drags, becuase you open up a 113 the first time, the drag isnt greased-runs dry, but I grease mine w/ penn reel lube and have nver had a problem w/ overheating, even when being spooled by a 25ft trophy walkaround last weekend- drag fully battoned down.

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
FWIW: I'm slowly replacing my Penn 330's and 345's to Penn 113H's.The 113H is the one reel that can hold up to the heavy drags and big fish.I'll miss the level wind.

My 320LD's are holding up OK but can not pull the real heavy stuff.

Watch buying a reel that is not common in our area.It will be tough to get parts or repaired.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
What have I said about those POS for a long time ? I've seen them freeze up while hooked up on a big BUBBA and had too many of them come back when I sold the damn things at the retail level .

·
Banned
859 Posts
FWIW: I'm slowly replacing my Penn 330's and 345's to Penn 113H's.The 113H is the one reel that can hold up to the heavy drags and big fish.I'll miss the level wind.

My 320LD's are holding up OK but can not pull the real heavy stuff.

Watch buying a reel that is not common in our area.It will be tough to get parts or repaired.
plus they have a "power handle" which can be moved from its stock position to make it longer and give one more purchase on the fish/lure. that is what i like. I got 2 TLD 25 last year for the lever drag but they have short stubby handles that I dont like. makes it twist around in ones hand.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
No idea about your TLD but the Penn #24-349H (same handle as the 113H) and #24-30T (used on the 30 International) handles will fit both the Penn 330 and the Penn 320.

Bass Pro has the 349H handle on the web for $16.99

1 - 13 of 13 Posts