Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some information on Pflueger reels. Boaters world has a combo on sale for $40. I want to add 3 more reels to my spread. I currently use 330gti's on profile rods. I know you get what you pay for. Do you think they will hold up if only pulling single chutes 2-4 oz's.

Thought's?

Shawn F

·
Registered
738 Posts
Did you see if you buy 2 330's at $99 you get a 50 gift card. Use your mssa card and get another 10 % off. Not as cheap but would hold up for ya

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Shawn; I saw that too and went over to look at them. The rod looks to be the better part of the combo. I decided against them. Glen Burnie store had about 4 of them on display, if you want a couple, get there early. I don't think they will stand up to big fish very often. 5th (Marty)

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I bought one yesterday, but I only bought it for one specific trip and if it never works again then I got my money's worth out of it. On the other hand, if it lasts a year then I have made out like a bandit($80 combo for $40). I don't think that I would buy three of them though and that's only because I don't have any experience with the brand other than spooling it up yesterday. I will say that the combo does seem to be of some quality and doesn't seem flimsy or cheap at all. As a matter of fact, the Pflueger seems to be of better quality than my Shakespeare Sturdy Stik combos (which I have 6 of) and the sturdy stiks are on their third season.

On second thought, at 40 bucks a piece, I'd buy them.

-JB

·
Registered
328 Posts
I own two Pflueger bait casting reels I use for bass fishing. Smoothest reels I own.I have only had them for two years so I do not know about longevity. Their quality in the last several years has went up alot. I have friend who owns two of the spinning reels and absolutly loves them. We are both die hard shimano people AND WOULD BUY ANOTHER IN A HEART BEAT. I can not speak for the quality of the reels you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
Did you see if you buy 2 330's at $99 you get a 50 gift card. Use your mssa card and get another 10 % off. Not as cheap but would hold up for ya
They had this same deal on black Friday and I went to Severna Park BW to pick up a couple.

-JB

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jason- Thanks.. I have 12 330gti's that are 5 years old.. Can't beat em

Mike- Do you have any specific experience with pflueger

Mike B- I have donated my share of reels. Probally to that same reef:eek2:

5th- I'll more then likely check them out tomorrow

Hakuna- That's my thinking... $120 if they last a year or 2 it might be worth it.

Dwayne- Thanks

Shawn F

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shawn,,,What Pflueger reels are you talking about?
Its all I use on my charters. The Medalist spinning reel and Shakespeare "Ugly Stick Custom" rods. This is the best rod Shakespeare makes.

They are doing away with the Pflueger Contender reels.
Pure fishing now owns Pflueger and have decided not to carry the Contender reels any more. But they will keep the Pflueger spinning reels.
The new Medalist (saltwater) spinning reels just arrived in the warehouse last week. I did some testing on these reels and I like them a lot!!
I think they will do away with some of there rods also........They own 11 rod company's now.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shawn,,,What Pflueger reels are you talking about?
Its all I use on my charters. The Medalist spinning reel and Shakespeare "Ugly Stick Custom" rods. This is the best rod Shakespeare makes.

They are doing away with the Pflueger Contender reels.
Pure fishing now owns Pflueger and have decided not to carry the Contender reels any more. But they will keep the Pflueger spinning reels.
The new Medalist (saltwater) spinning reels just arrived in the warehouse last week. I did some testing on these reels and I like them a lot!!
I think they will do away with some of there rods also........They own 11 rod company's now.
CaptRick- They are the contender 30.

Shawn F

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Their upper end spinning reels are pretty decent . As for their trolling stuff I've never owned any but have sold plenty of them at the retail level and watched quite a few come back after a few tussles with BUBBA .

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Their upper end spinning reels are pretty decent . As for their trolling stuff I've never owned any but have sold plenty of them at the retail level and watched quite a few come back after a few tussles with BUBBA .
Mike- thanks.. I was not expecting much for that price. Was more or less looking to get lucky.

Shawn F

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use the Pflueger saltwater combos & have no problem with them except for one last year. Hook about a 180lb Shark. Got it close to the boat & pissed him off. Several big splashes & he was gone. The reel made some bad noises when we cranked down the drag. Ihave bought more.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
I had a nice Pflueger spinner that I used for a few years and was happy with it. Then it needed some service and I sent it into Pflueger and they sent it back and told me since I bought it from BPS in a promotion ( it did say Pflueger on the side) they would not service it and to take it to BPS. That did it for me. I'll never buy another!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have a couple of the spinning reels and they are very nice. I prefer them over my Shimano's and Okuma'a.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Pflueger = Shakespeare = Alot of the new Penn stuff . The new Penn Sargus spinning reel for example :
A Pflueger in Penn clothing , made in the same factory with a little more metal in it and different handle:
Shakespeare Arsenal trolling reel :
Pflueger Contender :
Same basic reel with minor changes .

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I have one Pfleuger trolling reel, and have never had a problem with it (its a Contender G50). Seems to be a pretty good reel. Drag is strong, clicker is loud, and has been a pretty good reel thus far. I am going to spend some time in the coming couple days/week opening my gear up, and lubing, and greasing them up... I will let you all know if I see anything crazy in there!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have two pfluger bait casters, 10 ball bearing, 6.3:1 gear ratio ,I have 14lb fire line and use them on a shimano rod.They are a smooth action reel,Ive caught fish up to 12 lbs on them with medium drag used.They are great for LTJ and the cast control has saved me a many bird nest.Ive owned mine for 5 yrs, for the price doint think you can go wrong.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts