Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran my fuel tank until it was bouncing empty before filling up with the E10 fuel. I put 50 gallons of fuel in a 65 gallon tank so I still had some of the old fuel in the tank. Then the rains came last week, you know, when we were all thinking about building an Arc. I had fought water entering through a flush mount Perko cap-venting fuel cap for a while until I installed a neck extension on the thing and thought I had the problem beat. But I must have got some more water entering the system.

I planned on changing the separator after running the E10 for a couple of times so yesterday I pulled the old separator. I emptied the contents into a glass jar and could see a dark, ice tea color liquid on the bottom and a thin translucent liquid floating on top. I was scratching my head on this one because it was just the opposite with the old fuel, you could see any water on the bottom and the fuel on the top.

I then discovered phase separation and E10. I guess all in all, after running the engine for a while and pulling more fuel off the separator I pulled approximately one quart of water bound ethanol separated fuel out of the filter. Now when I run the engine for a while and pull some fuel from the separator I can only see a very small amount of the ice tea colored liquid in the bottom of what I pulled.

Most of what I’ve read says that once the ethanol starts to bind with the water and separate the remaining fuel is unusable but I figure in 50 gallons of E10 there’s 5 gallons of ethanol and I’ve only pulled about a quart of water bound E10 so the remainder of the fuel still has a good amount of ethanol suspended in it.

My plan is to continue to check the separator and run the remainder of the fuel. What do you all think; can you catch phase separation early?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
It sounds like you did, but you gotta fix that water intrusion problem. The root of all evil.

Here's a pic I like to post of my pre-E10 gas. 12 months worth, maybe 600 gallons of gas. This is the contents of the water separator after that time. This is normal.

Notice that there's just a couple of tablespoons of water in the bottom....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had treated the E10 with Startron after the fill up, maybe that really did help. I thought I fixed the water intrusion problem with the filler neck extension but we really did have a lot of rain. I don't like the self-venting fuel cap so maybe if I continue to have the problem with some water I'll change to closed cap and vent through hull.

And yea, paxfish, that's what my fuel looks like now when I drain some off the separator. Maybe a teaspoon or two of the dark stuff on the bottom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts