Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well yesterday Phil (Rattletrap) called me to ask if I had read the report of when Jamie, Shawn, and Bill all went fishing together. "Of course," I said.

"What do you think we need to do to catch fish like them," Phil asked.

"Well, I replied, For Shawn, I think you need to start with a lazy brown dog. And for Jamie, every time you catch a fish, you need hold it as far out as possible, lean back, and have your buddy take a picture from the ground up. Then, I said, I think you need to be deliberatly vague and sketchy about where you actually caught it."

Phil agreed and we decided to give it a shot today at trying to be them. I went and got a digital camera and a pair of knee pads for the pictures, and Phil went looking for a brown dog. We both got our stuff together and met at 6:30am at err... a mid bay ramp in a river under a bridge.

We ran north to errrr a river like structure admists the foot of cliffs in the bay proper, and decided play around with little fish. We caught and released several undersized fish and grew increasingly unpatient waiting out a keeper.

Well, what is about it that old adage never leave fish to find fish....because all I can say is after that we ran over 100 miles and burnt 50 some gallons of gas and fished every darn mid bay location the two of us could think of including targets, hills, humps, and everything else and had nothing to show for it, except for a school of breakers on the way in. The entire time we kept asking ourselves...what would Jamie and Shawn do?

The breakers saved our butt and gave us a limit of mid 20 fish and then some. But other than that and the dinkers in the rip it was the only game in town. Talked to everyone I know that was fishing and they all said the same thing, scattered fish, very little on structure, and breakers only for quality fish.

Tough day out there. Despite our best efforts, we are no Jamie or Shawn. We tried however.

Here's our best attempt at a Shawn pic today:

And here is our best attempt at a Jamie pic:

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Man that fish makes Phil look awfully big. Must be the technique you guys used to make the fish look bigger only problem with that is it makes the angler look on the large side,:D:D:D I haven't seen Phil in awhile he must have gained some weight.:yes: Hey were you guys trolling that 25 rod spread?

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Man what a great pic that 2nd one is...Who's dog?...I'm afraid to ask.......Phil you got it down perfect....50 gallons.......Jamie and shawn would've cried..........:eek:
Still think you gave out too much info...I know where you were!.......
Funny dam post guys...but purdy fish.........happy halloween and thanks for the laugh...........:D

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Great Report I think by the color of that water and the way Phil is holding that fish with the tail end down due to heavy metal content of the bay and the reflection in the dog's collar I would guess Maryland near one of them other states

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
FUNNY AS SH*T Francis:D Actually, all you have to do is put the lettering "Smells Like Fish" on the side of the boat, and the fish will come to you:clap: Lettering plus Shawn with a jigging rod in his hand.......and if the lettering falls off.................the fish still come to you:D:D:D

Bill

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Too funny, Francis. and a great report.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Francis, Your first mistake was going on Phils boat. Phil couldn't find a fish if he slipped on one at the dock. I can't tell you how many 100's of mile he has dragged me and we couldn't find the fish.If you want fish come on my boat. Just ask Phil whose boat was he on when he caught he's largest striper, or his citation red drum or how about black drum?;-)

Well at least you had a beautiful day and you did get those breakers. BTW did you have to cleanup after the dog?:D

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Phil got a new Chessy!!!! :clapping2::clap:

For those who don't know, Phil lost a fantastic chesapeake bay retriever earlier this year. He was exactly the same age and about the same size as Crockett and they were buddies. I've got some great shots of them playing on the beach together. Crockett can't wait to meet this little guy and neither can I. Those dogs love rockfish!

I was cracking up reading your post, Francis. Very funny stuff. I think you sent me some good mojo today cause I popped that good fish right after I hung up from talking to you. Good luck this weekend. Might see you somewhere Sun afternoon.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Francis,
They was too good.:roflguy:

Thanks, I'm still laughing

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Now that is a seriously good, and I might add funny as all get out, post:hysterical::yes::rockingreport:

In all seriousness though, shouldn't our area be wide open with breaking fish. It's Nov 1st, places like the mouth of the Choptank, Eastern Bay, in and around the Rips etc "should" be wide open. With all the bait we had around this summer you would think the fish would be feasting. What is going on man?

Jumbo, you're a good sport:thumbup:

Brandon

·
Registered
954 Posts
Pretty good Francis, nice errrrrr fishing with you again. Thought for sure after all that wind they would be bustin all over the bay.
Jamie, I told Francis your pics are always of huge fish, it's just that your a Big man:thumbup:
Shawn, thanks for the kind words about Woody. The new puppy is Murphy and I think he did pretty good on his first trip. Have to get him out with Crockett sometime.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. Jamie and Shawn, thanks for knowing I was only playing around. I guess when you don't catch what you think you should be catching and you get a little discouraged, laughing a little bit makes everything better.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
What a great post Francis LMAO the whole time and that pic of Jamie I mean Phil is great. Thanks for the post and Phil called me today and filled me in on your trip. Hey Jack, Phil might of caught his largest fish on your boat but what rod did he catch it on :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts