Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do they "turn on" as its getting cooler. I'm itching to try the Severn in the kayak, so any info or locations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Should be soon

This is the time of year when I start fishing for them. I've caught the biggest ones in December. There are two easy places to launch in the Severn that I know of: Truxtun Park on Spa Creek and Jonas Green Park, which is under the 450 bridge. I've only ever launched from Truxtun. I found that fishing there was best around high tide, but the current had to be moving. I didn't have much luck last year because it was so dry that the salinity in Spa Creek was quite high (though people were still catching pickerel in the Severn :confused:). Hopefully, that won't be the case this year.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
abrickhead - They should be turned on now. However, I'm having a difficult time trying to build up optimism for this winter's pickerel fishing on the Magothy/Severn. Last year certainly was far from a banner year for pickerel fishing on both rivers. Rarely if ever do pickerel migrate in and out of river systems. So what you get one year is pretty much what you get the next year, albeit slightly bigger, that is until we get another good hatch of pickerel. I don't think we've had a good hatch of pickerel for a couple of years now. On the other hand, I was fishing the inner Patapsco on Monday and water clarity there has improved markedly since just a few weeks ago. So I'm guessing water clarity on both Magothy/Severn has improved markedly as well. And thats exactly what we need to score with pickerel. We shall see what this winter has in store for us pickle chasers.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds good that I can get out there soon then. I just had a baby girl back in July so SHE became my new favorite hobby for the rest of the "fishing season".....I'm still on diaper duty (or is that "doody":D) ,but getting away to do some fishing looks promising in the coming weeks.
Hey....what ever happened to Virgil Poe on this board?? He seemed to be the Pickerel Guru for the local waters.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll be out on the Magothy this Sunday too. If you you see a guy and a teenager in a Cajun Flatbottom Canoe putting along, give us a wave. (with your hand, not your boat wake, we'll tip):eek2:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Only two so far for me this year. Haven't seriously fished for them yet though. These two were aggressive chasing the lure, and jumpy on the line. Good fun, and quick gentle releases.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well....change of plan. We are gonna try and get some pickerel up at Loch Raven. My brother and a buddy of mine are gonna rent a boat and see if they can get some fall bass on the line. but me and the nephew are looking for something with teeth:D I'll take some pics and see if I cant get some posted on Monday. Hope the weather makes a turn around, or, it's gonna be wet and wild.

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
Well....change of plan. We are gonna try and get some pickerel up at Loch Raven. My brother and a buddy of mine are gonna rent a boat and see if they can get some fall bass on the line. but me and the nephew are looking for something with teeth:D I'll take some pics and see if I cant get some posted on Monday. Hope the weather makes a turn around, or, it's gonna be wet and wild.
Loch Raven is your best shot.If you can;t catch them there..get a bowling ball.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok..... We went to Loch Raven on Sunday. What a freakin' mess..... being cold wasn't so bad as it was the wind beating the **** outta us. Loch Raven is an electric only lake....so we rented one of their "mules" and strapped a 36lb thrust trolling motor on the back and put in two deep-cycle batteries...this has been or fishing rig on this lake before with great results. But yesterday the weather turned out to be too much for that little mule. We wanted to find some calmer, protected coves to fish so we wouldn't have to fight the wind the entire time..... no fish to found in the coves.....the only fish we marked on the fish-finder were suspended at 25ft out in the main lake in 40-50ft of water. We fished as best we could putting across the lake, but we started taking on water:eek2: swells up to 1.5 ft were coming into the johnboat. Hell, I even manned the oars to give the little electric motor some help fighting our way back in, but the wind was winning and pushed us onto a point down by Loch Raven Bridge and the far end of the lake. We called the Fishing Center and told them our problem and he came out 45minutes later and towed us in. I had no fun because we had no fish.....the nephew DID have fun from the wild ride....so I guess it's a wash. I've learned to pick my days better to be out on the water. :fishing2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts