Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice article...the only problem with it is that it mentions that the particular angler who is the subject of the story "doesn't keep anything of less than 20 inches.":( Maybe someone who knows Bill Burten can hook him up with some of us SRRKC folks so that we can tell him about our Catch & Release only tounrey on the Severn -- and why we think this fishery will be enjoyed even more on a strictly C&R basis.

Venture out into cold for pickerel angling
By BILL BURTON, For The Capital

The arrival of what's more like winter weather has perked up waterfowl hunting a bit while it's just the opposite on the fishing front. Most anglers are of the fair-weather sort.

Pickerel don't mind the chill; they're feasting on minnows added to spinners or jigs in the Magothy. It's the best wintertime angling in the Magothy River in a long time, but where are the Izaak Waltons? A Rat-L-Trap or other swimming plugs are suggested for them.

Want to try something different? A medium-sized Dardevle spoon, one of the oldest artificial baits around, scores well for Tony Smith of Glen Burnie. An old-timer who has fished the Magothy for 43 years, he says that's what he has been using and usually catches a limit, but doesn't keep anything of less than 20 inches.

Smith says he retrieves the spoon slowly at the edge of drop-offs or around bushes and other structures and the fish slam it hard. He fished the traditional red spoon with white stripe.

He cautions against buying the Dardevle look-alikes. Most of them are lighter in weight and don't have the same action. The real thing wobbles just right. He adds he has been using the Dardevle since he started pickerel fishing in South River 40 years ago - and for bigger pickerel it can't be beat

He occasionally goes pickerel fishing in the Severn River, but insists the Magothy currently can't be beat at any time for pike waters in Maryland. If you want the true Dardevle, it has the head of a devil stamped on the white stripe.

·
Registered
11,147 Posts
The last Bill Burton pickerel article I recall is back in the early 70s when he said that the Severn was giving up catches of 50 Pickerel a day.That;s when I started fishing for them.What we don't need is a so called "Hero'that keeps a limit.Or any for that matter.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
That's right folks there's absolutely no Pickeral in the Severn. Furthermore even if they were in the Severn the Magothy is clearly the better choice of rivers:D These SRRKC guys are a bunch of nut jobs:D

-Evans

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Big E's right...none in the Severn. Don't waste your time, fish the Magothy.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Bill Burton needs to retire. Honestly, the man has the mindset of an angler fishing 40 years ago or better with his antiquated plugs and spoons he mentions in his article, and apparently he's still supporting the thought of catch and keeping these beautiful animals for the sake of saving $4.99 at a local food mart. There was absolutely no need of mentioning the killing these fish, and to do so confirms the fact that he condons it.
Honestly, other than a hyped up sales pitch for Daredevil Spoons, there's nothing of any real value in his article, and if Mr Smith has been out there pickerel fishing the Magothy for 40 years, TRUST ME WHEN I SAY "WE'D HAVE MET", AND WE HAVEN'T SIR. Mr Burton, maybe it's time you took your bow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts