Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out today for a few hours. I started off in Spa Creek that was a waste of time. Then moved up to Weems and got two but mostly a waste of time also. finaly moved up a little further to a small cove and started getting it down. Pulled in 6 there. Unfortunately all were between 18 and 20 inches.

This was my first time out on the Severn so it took me a while to get a good pattern down. I will be out again tommorow with a more specific set of targets.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
By the way, water temps at TPL have actually gone down in the past week (it's at 35 this a.m.). This must be from melting ice in the tribs flowing into the Bay. I'm guessing that finding some shallow water over a dark bottom in the late afternoon might be the ticket to finding active Pickerel. I'm trying for an hour tomorrow in one last desperation attempt. I'm at 21.25", 19.0" and 18.0" now, so need a fish of a lifetime or two "regular grade" citations to win.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm guessing that finding some shallow water over a dark bottom in the late afternoon might be the ticket to finding active Pickerel.
Definately a major factor to consider.

By the way I did pull a couple of more active fish out from under ice floats. One fish in particular was working about a 40ft radius from under the ice. He followed the lure on 4 attempts coming from different ends of the boat. I finally caught him as the lure was coming out of the water.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Goose and Sean,

According to our very own living legend Virgil, looking for the dark bottom flats is exactly what to do. In picking his brain at the last meeting, he told me that the minnows would find these muddy areas and bury themselves in the deeper mud as it got to cold. Therefore he said, the pickerel will be patrolling these areas looking for the minnows as they come back out. So far he has been dead on. We have caught loads of fish, just not the ONE. Good luck out there, I'm going to get out one way or another today.

Clancy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I made it out yesterday with no good luck. We landed a good two dozen fish but nothing over 20" Still nice to be out!

We did however pull a half full Keg of Beer from the ice. Got me a new crab steamer.

Are the markings on chain pickerel like fingerprints? Can they be used as identifying marks? I noticed two fish pictured here that are identical.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Are the markings on chain pickerel like fingerprints? Can they be used as identifying marks? I noticed two fish pictured here that are identical.
Yes to all three. :yes:

You must have been looking awfully close to have noticed the markings as being identical ;). They are the same fish and most likely were caught on the two separate days as stated. These fish will hang around the same vicinity with pretty much no reason to deliberately pack up and leave. I would normally expect to catch the same fish several times off of the same pier during any given season. They are there (where ya find em) for several good reasons. There's food, cover, and the water conditions present needed to sustain them. Remove any one of the three and they'll be gone. If I told ya any more, I'd have to charge ya.:cool2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I made it out yesterday with no good luck. We landed a good two dozen fish but nothing over 20" Still nice to be out!

We did however pull a half full Keg of Beer from the ice. Got me a new crab steamer.

:bigfish:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts