Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have salted down many herring and drained the water as per this receipe I copied from someone on here a long time ago,

There are many ways to prepare herring but I like to "pickle them". It is a long , drawn out process but is worth the effort . I got this recipe from Gene Mueller about 20 years ago while fishing for yellow perch at Allen's Fresh : First scale the herring with a tablespoon . It helps to do this with the fish under water in a sink so the scales don't go flying all over your kitchen . Of course you can do it outside. After scaling , fillet them in the traditional method but leave the skin on . I do cut the rib cage away though . Get a large Tupperware container and pour enough Kosher salt to coat the bottom . Then make a layer of herring fillets and then more salt . Kind of like making lasagna. Alternate herring and salt until you reach the top . Put the lid on and put in the fridge . The next day , open up the container and you will see an inch or more liquid on top . This the water from the herring leaching out . Pour it off and re-seal and put back in the fridge.Continue this process until ther is no more liquid floating on the top . (Usually about 3 days) . Now it's time to de-salt . Take all of the fish out and rinse well under cold water until all of the surface salt is gone . Get rid of all the residual salt in the container.Put all the fish back into the tub and cover with very cold fresh water , re-seal and back in the fridge . The next day , pour all of the water off , then cover with cold water again. Back in the fridge . After 24 hrs open the tub and take out a fillet and taste it with your tongue. If it is still salty do the water bath for one more day . That should be it for the brining . This is where you can get creative . This is my favorite way to do it . Oh , by the way , the herring is now completely brined and the residual bones are completely soft and undetectable . I cut the fish into bite-sized pieces and then make a sauce of fresh dill , sliced red onions , freshly ground black pepper , a little vinegar and plenty of sour cream . Mix well and add the fish pieces . Let it marinate for two days and voila ! Better than any out of the jar from your local supermarket . Alot of BS but you can say its home made

------------------------

I have them de-salting now but the bones are still hard? I would like to make them into the wine sause with onions and such like you can buy at the market. Any help?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I don't see any vinegar in that recipe, any fish that i pickled always included a vinegar soak

white Vinegar (5 % acetic acid)is what does the "Pickling"

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Gotta side with rj bigtime!!! Wheres the vinegar??? Vinegar is the principle ingredient that softens the bones and preserves the fish. Matter of fact, other than the salt, vinegar IS the main ingredient that makes pickled herring PICKELED.

Another technique - I've had fair luck canning herring. Scale, head, gut, lop off the tail then soak in brine for a day. Then carefully pack herring tightly into wide mouth quart jars topped off with seasoned tomato sauce. Then pressure cook for 1.5 hours or so. They turn out like canned sardines, bones are soft. The meat ends up being a little too soft for me, but they are tasty.

Good luck and definitely check into the vinegar component.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rich & HJS. So I'll put em in some vinegar and seasoning, onions now? Oh well if it don't work I got some bait for the muddy flats. I'll let ya know, thanks again.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Scotty - I'm guessing its not too late to add the vinegar and onions. I think the vinegar process takes several days to do its thing and soften the bones. And you might need to change the vinegar a time or two... dunno for sure.

Just a thought, I'm thinking maybe your recipe may have been for "Salted Herring" and not "Pickled herring"???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts