Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I managed to get over to check out the Dorchester MSSA's Flea Market (my local MSSA chapter that has a great group of guys) today. I beat the crowds by showing up around 10:30am, but there was still plenty of good things left and some people coming in the door.

I managed to find a few good deals, a few Megaghosts for $1 each, a huge deal compared for what they go on eBay for and a great popper. A few old reels at a reasonable group rate with all the money going to the Dorchester MSSA chapter. Anyone know what these reels are worth with their boxes? Pictures below. And a Heddon Punkinseed lure is mint shape. I "think" I got a good deal on it. Anyone know what one goes for in mint shape and the largest one they made? Picture of it below.

All and all a good time!
Few shots of the fishing show action

Charlie and MSSA Dorchester crew manning the chapter donation table.

Reels I was eyeing with the original owner in the background

A happy customer

My purchases

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Brandon;
There is an online community called The Old Reel Collectors Association. They are at www.ORCAonline.org
They are a great bunch of extremely serious old reel experts. Free registration lets you can read, search and post, nominal yearly cost for some more privileges (sound familiar?) like downloading from their library of old catalogs and users manuals. Check out the "Reel Talk" message board.

My sense is that the only old reels worth much money are those in pristine shape, but with the box helps.

I did a very quick search at ORCA for the Bronson Mercury 2550 (only one I could read everything clearly in your photo).
I found 2 related threads from 2007 on that reel at ORCA, both asking about values.
The response on one of them was

"Bronson Mercury in Box sells daily on ebay for $15 to $25. Mercurys were produced from at least 1940 until 1964."

That thread's link is at
http://orcaonline.org/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=4646&highlight=bronson+mercury+2550

ORCA is a great place to ask questions...ALMOST as helpful folks as here at TF !!
Post a picture and you will get a lot of help. Probably a few arguments, too. "No way Charlie...thats NOT a 1953 model...Bronson changed the font on the side panel of the box to red in 1957, so your reel had to be built after that".

OK, maybe they ARE a lot like TF :hysterical:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
That JC Higgins reel brings back memories, not fishing but hunting. My dad and I hunted together frequently and he used a JC Higgins variable choke 12 gauge. It was a great all around shotgun and I have it now. JC Higgins was Sears brand but re-labeled from leading manufacturers.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I had one of those Bronson reels when I was a kid. It was mounted on a metal rod, what a great lighting conductor. I remember the backlashes I spent hours trying to undo. My grandma lived in Winter Haven Florida about a block from lake Howard. I caught a two lb catfish on a night crawler and brought it home to show everyone. Nobody knew how to clean it so we had to give it a funeral in my grandma's garden under a grapefruit tree, that was 61 years ago.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Wino - If you only knew then to nail it to that tree by the bottom lip, cut around bottom of head and rip down with pliers. I was a catfish skinning kid.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the comments.
Abter1, thanks for the heads up on the antique reel forum.

Z28YJ,
Contact Charlie S from here, he was one of the guys manning the table. The reels I bought I think along with that lamp were all part of the local chapter table where the items were donated and all the money went to the chapter. The lamp was still there when I left towards the end of the day, so they might still have it.

Anyone have any info on the lure?

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
The lure near the reel box looked like a Helin punkinseed, made by the same people who made the flatfish. That lure was a dog, I never caught zilch on it. Lost the last one at the little falls dam on the Potomac in 1953 or to many the Brookmont feeder dam.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Brandon,
The lure is either a Heddon Punkinseed or Punkinseed Spook. The color is "Crappie". Is it wood or plastic? How long is it? A close up with the bottom hardware would be helpful.

Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts