Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting at work, and pretty bored.

I am interested to see what kind of pictures you guys/girls have of oregon inlet in its various states. From perfect to horrific. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
128 Posts
While you're down there check out South Nagshead. They've lost a couple of streets to the ocean this year.

Don't miss having dinner at The Black Pelican in Kitty Hawk.
Breakfast at Jolly Rogers in Nagshead is hard to beat also.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My best picture of OI is in my mind. I've seen it flat calm and so rough that you get seasick watching inlet from the bridge.

My last memory (prior to selling my offshore boat in 2004) was clearing the inlet at 6AM with 2-3' swells, and returning at 4PM with a northeast 15-20kt wind and an ebb tide. What a difference!!! 6-10 foot waves were breaking across the entire inlet. It was nothing but foam. I had to time my run through and ran just enough power to keep the aft swell from crashing the stern, but not too much to run over the swell in front and plug the nose. I remember the look on my father-in laws face (and I am sure he remembers mine) as we were half way through, when he looked back. Nothing by white. The horizion was gone and all you could see were the tops of the cresting waves. The GPS guided me in the entire way as I could only see the channel bouys as I rode high on a swell. That was the worst run through that inlet in 7 years of fishing OI.

Once I made it through, and the color returned to my knuckles, I realized that it probably would have been safer to wait out the tide and run in a slack tide. However, sometines you may not have a choice.

Treat that inlet with respect, or it will eat you up!!!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice story, I am sure there are numerous more out there like that, and some not so fortunate as yours.

Made my heart beat a little bit faster.

·
Registered
147 Posts
it was pretty today---10 foot breaking wave all the way across--listened to a trawel boat crossing and he told the other trawlers behind him not to try and come in. The commerical drop net fleet turned around and went home. Getting worse tomorrow

·
Registered
885 Posts
Brian,

Looking forward to seing you at College Park on the 14th...still coming I hope!

Ernie (friend of Donnie and Aaron)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts