Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have or know of anyone who has a pier de-bubbler-de-icer for sale? Any recommendations as to what to look for when buying one?

Please let me know - thanks

Bayhead - aka chuck

·
Registered
277 Posts
Biggest difference between models is horsepower. We have 3/4 horsepower ice eater - not sure the brand. The theory is that you put them down about a foot or two off the bottom and it makes the warmer water rise to the surface. On our pier, however, we only have 6' MLW and in the winter, it's probably more like 5. We hang it just under the surface and it churns the surface of the water enough to keep it from freezing. Our pier is 100 feet long. 1- 3/4 horsepower unit does the whole thing as well as my neighbor's pier which is about 30 feet away. two 1/2 hp units would do the same. You will get a much better deal at a local store like COBE than at BW or WM. I had one die - two weeks out of warranty - that I purchased at COBE - they went to bat for me and got me a new one. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--You can rig one with a sump pump --a Cheepie or a SS one --Make bubbler part with Plastic Tubing With Holes in it , lower it to bottom Test for how much pipe length you need for the size of boat --

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have a Kasco 3/4 horsepower that I have been using for years. The cost today is around $350 plus the thermostat. Our pier is 110 feet long and it takes care of the whole area. The thermostat is set to come on at 30 degrees and runs for two hours and then stays off for four hours. It is the only way to go if you want to keep your pilings from coming up as the tide comes and goes in the winter months. You can buy them at Boaters World or direct from the distributor, his name is Art Libby 410 349 1381 in fact he may even have some reconditioned ones for sale.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been using Kasco De-Icer for probably 15 years. On my second one.
Mine is a 1/2 horsepower and clears about a 30 foot circle the way I use it.

With our relatively warm winters now I lower mine til it almost touches bottom between the pier and the boat lift in about 3 feet of water. Then once a day, if there is more than skim ice, I run the motor until it clears the 30 f00t area.

If there is only skim ice, I don't run it.
I have seen many of these De-Icers running when there is no ice, or when there is not enought water, so I don't like the thermostat or timer controled motor.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought my 3/4 hp Kasco from Art Libby also. He's in Winchester (Severna Park area). Mine has worked fine for 4 years, but I didn't need to use it last year because I didn't see any water freezing off the South River. However, in January of 2004 before I started using the Kasco one of my pilings poped up - not fun. Good luck!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
If you use sump pump/s what will keep it from burning up after running for hours???

I am thinking of doing this, but the boat is an hr away. Will a sump pump run continuous for days, without burning up??

Thanks,:D

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
If you use sump pump/s what will keep it from burning up after running for hours???

I am thinking of doing this, but the boat is an hr away. Will a sump pump run continuous for days, without burning up??

Thanks,:D
Put it on a timer, outdoor ones are sold for lawn & garden use.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Man Steve,

If I had a brain, I would be dangerous.
:yes:

We actually run some fans in the crawl space on timers, what a dummy.

I'll be contacting you soon.
Thanks,
:D

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Put it on a timer, outdoor ones are sold for lawn & garden use.
Ron I had one that ran on Air Temp.--I also had onr year a commercial Ice eater --It hopped up onto the Ice & burned up for lack of water cooling --" murphy's Law' as usual

1 - 10 of 10 Posts