Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever catch a pike in the Rapp?

Catching catfish today on the creek today and fish were breaking the surface all around us. Most looked like catfish but one broke close to the boat and I could see the snout. This was a big fish too and it was following a smaller one.
After throwing a rattletrap around for a while I get a tug not far from boat, felt like I snagged something, no real fight but there was something there. I reel it to the boat and there was a pike easily 3' long. It looks at me and spits the lure and slowly swims away.

Toss the rattletrap a few more times and it comes back within 4-5' of the boat with the other one close behind, then a boat comes out of nowhere towing a skier or wake boarder or whatever, running at least 20 mph heading straight for us. Now we are right on a 90* bend in the creek and he is headed straight for us. I look at the boat and the driver is nowhere to be seen. I start waving and yelling and the skier must have alerted the driver because he pops up and slows down a bit and hugs the turn to avoid running us over. Boat coming the other way would have been bad. The more I think about the more pissed I get.

These were not small fish and we were in a small creek so I was completely taken by surprise. I am now hooked on the creek fishing. This was my first trip on the 14' jon boat that I bought 9 months ago and now I am thinking about going bigger and buying a flare gun or bazooka or flame thrower or grenade launcher or one of each.

Anyway, has anyone caught a pike here?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Totusky, Piscataway, Mount Landing, Farmasol, Cat Point? That area? Yes Pike. Also of note DGIF says the Snakehead have made it in the Rappahannock too. Weather they came down the Bay from the Potomac or some other Avenue is a mystery.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Piscataway and it was a Gar. The long slender body made me think it was a pike but after hooked up posted I looked up the gar and it was definitely a gar.n

·
Registered
421 Posts
Congrats on your new boat, and first encounter with someone that should lose their boater certification. I think most of those creeks have pike (really chain pickerel) in the upper ends.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Nice little setup. I have seen huge gar in Totusky Creek. Decent size snakehead also caught in the upper reaches of Lagrange Creek last summer. Lagrange is well downriver from any of the creeks mentioned so I have to think those snakehead are in the mix too in the upper ends of all the Rapp creeks. Time will tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts