Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure someone on here saw or heard the story. Today there was a report on Pilotonline.com about 3 boaters rescued from a boat taking on water. The report was a little light on the details, but it sounded like it was near the bridge at the Lynhaven inlet, and 2 other boats responded to help. Anyone got any more details, like why they took on water, is the boat sunk there obstructing the waterway, etc etc.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The boat was an older vessel that was taking on water. When the fire boat arrived, the three persons on the boat boarded the fire boat and their vessel capsized, but did not sink. It was towed back to the marina where it was righted and put back on the trailer. It was apparently a little rough in the bay yesterday. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It was my boat out there yesterday, my brother and two of his friends were coming in toward the inlet at about 40 knots and the motor cut off spontaneously causing water to rush in the back. The boat wouldnt start back up and it had already taken on alot of water when it got caught in the current about 200 yards parallel from the old Duck Inn gazebo. They tried bailing out water with 5 gallon buckets, battery was already sumberged and small waves continued to crash in the back. As for the 2 other boats, thats untrue, their were two boats in the area, he shot 6 flares when they were passing bye,but neither one responded so they called 911. About 5-10 mins later 3 coasties in a dingo showed up to get them, shortly after the boat submerged almost completly except for the bow. The Police boat showed up about 10 mins later and they pulled it out slowly and towed it back to the ramp at lesner and dewatered it. They were able to get it back on the trailer the with help of the lot attendant VBFD, VBPD and a few other people. One of the guys had a camera and took some pictures, ill try and post them as soon as i can.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Was this yesterday afternoon? I had a couple emergency boats fly past me while i was paddling back in from the first island in my kayak. It was nasty out there yesterday, hopefully everyones altright!

·
Registered
2 Posts
yea the 911 call was at about 4:30, and everyones ok, big thanks to vbpd, coast gaurd and vbfd they were quick and on point and managed to save the boat. Iv'e been working on it this afternoon and it seems like it might actually work again, but trust it's bay/ocean days are over.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Glad to hear no-one was lost. I noticed a larger boat that looked as though it had run-aground when i headed out rock fishin friday evening around 1630 out of little creek up on the beach just east of the hoover craft approch. It was foggy thursday and friday. Saturday when i went out it looked like they pulled it off the beach but it was still sitting high in the water. Don't know any thing else on that one.
FYI rock do bite in the rain and fog casting buck tails at the first.------ Well it beat sittin in traffic on 64....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts