Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any local TF'ers been down that way?

I'll be there late June and hope to have an morning or afternoon free. Looking for advice... is it better to fish fresh (e.g., Lake Okeechobee) or go saltwater down that way.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I grew up about 1 hour north and go down yearly. I've always prefered saltwater fishing. Are you looking to charter a boat or just go on your own? I have fished 2 times now with a great guide in Jupiter (about 15 minutes north) who does light tackle and fly fishing saltwater.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
There are headboats that go out of most of the inlets in Southeast Florida for half day trips. You often see a good variety of fish caught. The cost is not too much.

Many years ago, I booked a light tackle casting trip in Ft Lauderdale with Capt. Ron Mallet. Our 6-hour trip was cut short by a morning thunderstorm. My best memory of Capt Mallett was a classic line. I asked him what type of fish we could expect to catch. He replied, "The dumb, hungry ones." How true it is.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just went to Lauderdale for a weekend fishing trip and was very disappointed. Chartered for two days. We got a few kings and amberjacks. The rest of the trip was spent stocking the captains coolers with Bonito for them to have for bait for the rest of the year. We did raise three sails on Sunday but no bite. Aside from the amberjacks......catching speedo's for bait was the best part. Hope you have better luck then us.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Definitely salt. The head boats (locally called drift boats) are your best bet. They catch everything from snappers and groupers, to kingfish and my mom even caught a sailfish. Get there early and stake out a spot on the stern, if the regulars allow it. They supply rods and bait. They will sell you drinks or food, but you can bring your own cooler. Remember to tip the mate, and a little extra if he cleans your catch. If you don't have cooking facilities, let the mate or a fellow fisherman keep it to feed their families.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts