Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm tired of folks complaining that DNR doesn't have the manpower to enforce the laws. I have a proposal to help them out.

Every rec (or interested party) can adopt a net. Find a net somewhere close to where you regularly fish, boat, waterski, jetski, etc. and adopt it. Get the GPS coordinates of it. If it is registered and has a number on it, record that too.

Then everytime you see it in place when it is not supposed to be there, report it. If it is full of fish and looks like it hasn't been tendered, report it. When you report it, send an e-mail to your State Delegate, or to to ?? (more on that later).

Same for crab pots in the middle of a channel. Since the crabbers are complaining about people who run over their floats and cut the lines, lets help those crabbers get some incentive to move them out of the channel (where most of them get cut off). If they are in the channel, get the number and report them.

After thousands and thousands of reported violations to go DNR (with e-mail to the Delegates) those delegates are going to wonder why they are receiving all this e-mail and start asking DNR why they are not doing their job.

I'm thinking as I type here, so help me out. Maybe the e-mails shouldn't go to the delegates...maybe they should go to Candy who can compile them and report the weekly numbers. Maybe Candy isn't the right place. Who is? Where can these thousands and thousands of complaints go so that the politicians and the public can see them?

We need a motto for this campaign. How about "Adopt a Net"

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother and esteemed fellow Parker owner:
You know.....that's a good idea you have there. Maybe the DNR Police under new Commandant George Johnson will be be able to re-load the resources the DNR Police have available. Of course some of the DNR Police around the Bay Bridge could use a good training seminar on how to treat people in a courteous and professional manner. There are crab trap floats right outside of the Sandy Point channel and the DNR Police have a station right in the Park. That would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Brotherhood

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eminent Brother and esteemed fellow Parker owner:

---See Pork there is Closeness between User Groups ---oh well--geo.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I was told by the crab comm. this winter to call DNR to report the dark colored floats (law states the float shall be a visible color ) and floats that are in the channels. DNR will get tired of my calls real quick and hopefully get the crabbers to move their pots.

Same goes for any poachers we see.Once word gets out that ALOT of people are watching-maybe the poachers will stop. Skip

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I was told by the crab comm. this winter to call DNR to report the dark colored floats (law states the float shall be a visible color ) and floats that are in the channels. DNR will get tired of my calls real quick and hopefully get the crabbers to move their pots.

Same goes for any poachers we see.Once word gets out that ALOT of people are watching-maybe the poachers will stop. Skip
Actually black floats are more visible especially at night. It has more of a contrast against the background.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I have read this a couple of times and think it is an excellent idea. In the short time that I have been reading the threads on this board I have come to appreciate how dedicated people are to improving the fishery. I remember a post back in early February by Capt. Jim Brincefield on bay pollution. While his call to action was more grass roots in nature (e.g. pick a river and clean it up) this idea could also be used for reporting pollution issues.

Having worked as a government contractor for 19 years in order to make the government move, be it federal or state, you have to send your message often and through different channels. With Porkchunker's idea we would report violation to DNR or the environmental agency through the mechanisms they have set up to handle reports from the public. When you get back home you report the violation to the person/organization who is collecting this data. We have to do both. Reporting it to the agency allows that agency the opportunity to respond and do their job. If that happens all is good. If they don't collecting the data on the incident allows us to start a database on the violations we have reported. Once we have data we can send periodic reports on number of violations, types, areas, times, etc. to delegates, department heads and the press. When someone like Candy writes an article about this problem which supported by good data the message is much stronger.

There are a number of groups such as MSSA, CCA and others that have been figuring out the political landscape for these types of issues in Maryland for years. They should be able to help identify who we should target with respect to delivering the message. I participated in the email program through CCA targeting the yellow perch bill. The tool they had in place for generating a message and delivering it to the right delegate was awsome. Maybe they would be willing to help in an endeavor like this.

If we can get the mechanisms in place to report this stuff and collect the data then we could enlist the help of local tackle shops to post a poster or distribute a flier on how people can plug into the effort and report violations. This can get more people involved and at the very least like Skip said people will be aware that someone is watching and may not violate the laws knowing that.

The last part about Porkchunker's idea I like alot is that the people who would be the eyes and ears in reporting these violations are us. People who spend alot of time on the water, who are passionate about what we do and want to see the fishery improved for everyone.

I would be happy to help in getting this going.

Jerry

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
False reporting could be an issue. But this is no different than someone calling the police to report what they believe to be a crime. It is up to the police to sort it out. If your concern is that the numbers could be questioned as to their validity and say the problem is not as big as being reported that could happen. If the numbers being reported are very small then we don't have an issue the size of the DNR police force would be correct. IMHO it is hard enough to get people to report period much less somebody making false reports.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And we can get all you Barney Fifes tin badges and whistles too. :yes:
Well...we know where you stand.

I'll bet if drug dealers moved into your neighborhood and started doing business out of the house, you would report it. I'll bet if you saw someone dragging a gutted deer out of the woods in Feb, you would report it. I'll bet if you witnessed a bank robbery and saw the license of the getaway car you would report it. I'll bet if you saw some guy grab a little girl/boy from their mother in a parking lot and drive away, you would report everything you could recollect about the incident. What is the difference here?

Private citizens have videoed police brutality and things have been fixed. Private citizens have taken pictures of all kinds of illegal activity and turned it over to the press, which puts it on the front page, forcing the normally pusillanimous politicians to take action.

Our government asks us all the time to report suspicious activity that might indicate terrorist preparations...witness the overhead signs up and down the major Interstate highways.

Being an active participatory citizen is nothing to hide your head in shame over...it is a responsibility. This is a government "Of the People, For the People." It survives because we voluntarily support and defend it.

If we want someone else to take care of everything, then we can all move to Venzeuela where they just elected a dictator for life and gave him permission to sweep away their constitution.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From Webster's On-Line dictionary

pusillanimous

Main Entry:
pu·sil·lan·i·mous Listen to the pronunciation of pusillanimous
Pronunciation:
\-ˈla-nə-məs\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Late Latin pusillanimis, from Latin pusillus very small (diminutive of pusus boy) + animus spirit; perhaps akin to Latin puer child - more at puerile, animate
Date:

: lacking courage and resolution : marked by contemptible timidity
synonyms see cowardly

·
Registered
126 Posts
Regarding enforcement, this is from the minutes of the Tidal Fisheries Advisory Commission Meeting of April 13, 2006:

"Danny Beck, an Upper Bay commercial waterman, told the Commission that commercial watermen are having problems with their nets being vandalized. He feels that fyke netters are the victims of “hate crimes”. Commissioner Simns agreed, adding that commercial fishermen are up against propaganda put out by sports writers that often encourage vandalism. He felt that the laws against vandalizing commercial gear are not enforced and that the Department should be working to rectify this situation"

Is this the same Danny Beck who was caught illegally netting yellow perch in the waters of APG just a month before the above statement was made??

This is incredible.

Doug

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Well...we know where you stand.

I'll bet if drug dealers moved into your neighborhood and started doing business out of the house, you would report it. I'll bet if you saw someone dragging a gutted deer out of the woods in Feb, you would report it. I'll bet if you witnessed a bank robbery and saw the license of the getaway car you would report it. I'll bet if you saw some guy grab a little girl/boy from their mother in a parking lot and drive away, you would report everything you could recollect about the incident. What is the difference here?

Private citizens have videoed police brutality and things have been fixed. Private citizens have taken pictures of all kinds of illegal activity and turned it over to the press, which puts it on the front page, forcing the normally pusillanimous politicians to take action.

Our government asks us all the time to report suspicious activity that might indicate terrorist preparations...witness the overhead signs up and down the major Interstate highways.

Being an active participatory citizen is nothing to hide your head in shame over...it is a responsibility. This is a government "Of the People, For the People." It survives because we voluntarily support and defend it.

If we want someone else to take care of everything, then we can all move to Venzeuela where they just elected a dictator for life and gave him permission to sweep away their constitution.
So I should put you down for a badge and whistle?

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lou,

Don't need a badge and a whistle...they come automatically by being a U.S. citizen.

And for those of you who believe that I'm advocating destruction of private property...you have missed the message. Go back and read it. I say "report" the infraction.

And yes...I have reported suspected or obvious poaching. I keep a list of emergency phone numbers on board, and the list includes the DNR numbers.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts