Tidal Fish Forum banner

Plan your Florida trip accordingly

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  thill 
#1 ·
This year, the floating Sargassum Seaweed is going to be way worse than any Red Tide we've had in years. Starting now with the Spring Break crowd, beach goers are pretty upset with the floating ****.
If you are planning a fishing trip this Spring or Summer on any Florida Coast, you really need to have a "Plan B" in the works just in case your Plan A gets squashed.
Water Sky Beach People on beach Landscape

See less See more
#2 ·
This year, the floating Sargassum Seaweed is going to be way worse than any Red Tide we've had in years. Starting now with the Spring Break crowd, beach goers are pretty upset with the floating ****.
If you are planning a fishing trip this Spring or Summer on any Florida Coast, you really need to have a "Plan B" in the works just in case your Plan A gets squashed.
View attachment 284011
This is certainly true. I just returned from a quick South Florida fishing trip and the weed was so pervasive that it was impossible to put out a trolling spread. And trust me, we covered plenty of miles to find "clean water". We did change gears and had some fine bottom fishing, and as much as the weed sucked, I don't know f its consequences will be as bad as the deadly red tide that we saw a few years back. 🤞

BTW, my favorite plan B lately has been fishing for peacocks and other exotics in the canals. It's quite addicting to say the least.

#3 ·
One of the plans on the table now is to research how they can "sink" major parts of the blob and still keep it environmentally friendly.
My next road trip down South of Big Lake O. will be dedicated to the peacocks. Hopefully, before June.
I saw on the python hunting show last week where there is a big fish called "Pacu" that is like the Amazon Piranha or our Sheepshead that can get up to 3 feet long and 65 pounds and they live in the same waters as the peacock. - WOW -

#4 ·
One of the plans on the table now is to research how they can "sink" major parts of the blob and still keep it environmentally friendly...
That is a TERRIBLE idea. What money-grubbing tourism idiot thought that up?

Sargassum week is the nursery of the ocean. If you live in Florida, and catch a mat of it, you would know. Yes it's a pain, but LOOK at it. It is FILLED with life. Seahorses, krill, baby shrimp, crabs, sargasso fish, and young gamefish of every kind.

I grew up in FL and some years were BAD when it came to Sargasso, but the fishing was absolutely phenomenal back then, especially when you compare it to today. It's just a shadow of what it was. Last time I went there, in fact, I was wondering where the sargasso was. We had to search and search, and only found one weak weedline and ONE dolphin.

Having a "good" sargasso year may not be great for tourists or for trolling, but it will pay off in spades when it comes to the fish population. Let nature do it's thing. The ecosystem was designed by someone WAY smarter than any human.

Every time "smart" humans decide to "fix" something, they ALWAYS screw up things that they could not foresee.

-TH

Please Note: This is my personal opinion, based on my years of observation, and should not be construed as anything different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.