Tidal Fish Forum banner

Planer board line #

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  FVFAC13 
#1 ·
Wondering what Lb planer line you guys use on your boards. I just bought the Big Jon planer reels and they have 135lb test. I'm wondering if anyone else has this set-up or knows if 135lb line is sufficient to run 4-5 lines with the pull of the boards? I was using #5 crab-line but am changing to the reel. Any help???

#2 ·
Most of us use Weedwacker cord in the .095 dia. from Home Depot/Loews.Get the round kind-not the triangle stuff.We use a reel made for storing extenstion cords.Bright orange plastic for $7.00.Both lines can be spooled on one reel.

All Tackle in Annapolis will make up line for you but the Weedwacker stuff is cheap and tough.

If you are pulling triples-135 lb line might break. Skip

#4 ·
Use WW line 095-105 and double crimp on both ends using a dog leash type snap. I lost my right board on the first trip out a few years ago because I only had 1 crimp. I was lucky enough to get it back. I also use scotty clips to hold the lines. They are more predicable then rubber bands.

#9 ·
I use 200lb planer line. I had a set of big john planer board reels crack into pieces using ww line, the big john rep explained that ww line caused it. the ww line gets stretched out, when wound back on reels it tries to spring back to original dia putting pressure on the reels cracking them. this happens over a season of use. Hope you read this before purchase line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.