Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a planer board from Skip. (great guy and super easy to work with). I had made up one last year..but realized Skip makes them for about the same as the materials cost....and skip used better materials. :thumbup:

Any way, I dont have an arch or hard top...so I fabricated this mast to use on the front of my GW seafarer. The base is 1/4" steel cut out to go around the anchor rope well. Ill be using it this weekend. Ill report back how it worked out. The GW deck is about 3/4" thick, but im going to use a backing plate and I will have one guy line from the top of the pole down to a cleat for safety.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Looks good. I have the same problem on my Carolina Skiff DLV. I currently connect to the console rail, but the lines get in the way and they just aren't high enough.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks good. I have the same problem on my Carolina Skiff DLV. I currently connect to the console rail, but the lines get in the way and they just aren't high enough.
Thanks, that is how I attached the planer board last weekend (to the rail) It worked ok but the board was a little far back and the line closest to the board dragged in the water. That is what motivated me to put this mast together.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A little off topic but I picked up a set of used planers last year. Didn't ask if the guy I got them from made them or not. They look exactly the same as the planers you pictured. I'm thinking I may have a set of planers originally made by the same man. Anyway, I recommend a clear coat of paint if not already on there to prevent the orange scuffs I got on my deck from the planers. Just a tip.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The pull from the boards from side to side is tremendous. You will need some type of guide lines to each side to offset pull of the boards.
Suggest you test , before setting lines.
Good luck

·
Registered
546 Posts
The pull from the boards from side to side is tremendous. You will need some type of guide lines to each side to offset pull of the boards.
Suggest you test , before setting lines.
Good luck
I would agree, when you turn and the loading is uneven, or when you're in rough water and you see shock loading you might have problems. I built one years ago, it was more like a tripod and worked well. The construction looks nice though, Good Luck.

·
Registered
575 Posts
There is only about 9lb of pull on planer boards...we put the fish meter on it last year. It's not has much pressure as one thinks. I have a 23 Dauntless Whaler and we just clip the lines to the upfront cleats..works fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nine pounds of pull may be correct , but with that force being say 6-7' above the bottom where it is attached creates an awful lot of leverage pulling on the mounting.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
6 feet of mast does add a lot of leverage. I can lean back holding both lines coming off the top of the mast with all my weight (215 pounds) and only get a little flex even while bouncing...but I did add another brace. The plate is 1/4" steel and the boat deck is 3/4" thick up front. The Deck isnt flexing at all. One of these days Ill get around to getting a spool gun so I can do aluminum. With a scale on one of the lines I was putting over 60 pounds of pull. With that said, I did add a safety line...just in case.

I do appreciate all the advice and thoughts/concerns. I will report back how it works out. The disc brake is not part of the mount lol...just holding up the base for painting. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mast = good

Hey all, just wanted to report back and say the mast worked great. The bay was calm on sat. but we went through plenty of boat wakes. The mast never flexed. Caught 2 in the slot 37 inches, on 41" and one 22" Biggest fish my dad has ever caught. He had a blast. I had a blast. You can see the mast in the background of the one picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was wondering if you had skips phone number, the number i have is not the right one.wanted to touch base with skip.

thanks Capt G

1 - 15 of 15 Posts