Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
First clip goes close to board - lock down the reel and put in holder.

Next goes out about 10 feet shorter - putting the reel in gear prevents clip from going farther.

Each line is roughly 10 feet closer - gives nice spacing to clips.

A fairly tight drag is good - this allows clip to release. Otherwise - fish could pull line off reel - pulling clip down the tow line to the next clip.

When a fish hits - lines are let out to rotate the clips down the tow line.

The clips stay there until end of the day.

Best to carry 2 to 3 times clips as number of lines you troll off the boards.

·
Registered
221 Posts
U know i was wondering how u get the clip back after a knock down , i was thinking u just pulled the board in and retrieved the clip " Dumb A$$ ":52: , i don't feel to bad as i have had many people on my boat that has thought the same thing..

Just bring extra clips very smart:clapping2:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
U know i was wondering how u get the clip back after a knock down , i was thinking u just pulled the board in and retrieved the clip " Dumb A$$ ":52: , i don't feel to bad as i have had many people on my boat that has thought the same thing..

Just bring extra clips very smart:clapping2:
HERE'S YOUR SIGN!!!.......LMAO....don't fret man, we all started somewere and asked questions too.....some questions were just a little more entertaining than others:))

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so basically, the lines closest to the board is the furthest line out and each one closer tot he boat is less and less. so whats the max distance you can get the second to board line out before it gets to the board?

thanks for the info...wish there was a youtube video, as ive only used outriggers..lol

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Not sure I understand your question - this might help explain the general process.

Once the boards are out - you let out the #1 line. This should be a lighter lure and is let out the farthest off the reel.
Let's go with 100 feet.
This is clipped and the clip is sent down the tow line. Once about a foot from the board - reel is engaged.
#1 rod goes highest up in the rod holders.

#2 lure goes out 75 feet - clip is stopped about 10 feet from #1. Goes below the #1 rod.

#3 lure goes out 60 feet - clip stops 10 feet from #2 and is about 20 feet from #1. Rod goes lower then #2.

A fish hits the #2 line and gets reeled in. Now you let out line on #3 - it takes the place of #2. Rod moves up one holder.

The lure is combed out and let back 60 feet or so. It is now in the #3 postion.

You might consider giving Capt. Wayne Morgan or Capt. Steve Goings a call. Both offer hands on instruction and might do a short trip PSCR with you.

You can also watch TF for a trolling HO offer.

Seeing boards used and how the rods are postioned / rotated will cut the learning curve.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.