Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to the board and I have a question about planer board release clips. I am looking to try out my new 3 board planers this year and I am looking at different release clips to use. I am using 50# mono on my rigs so I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to which release clip would work best. I have read reports stating that Scotty release clips work best with braid. I have also seen the Off Shore Tackle OR19 release clip. I have gone through the search function on the board but I am not finding the information I am looking for. Any thoughts on which clip (or another clip suggestion) might work best with the mono trolling for striper in the Bay?

·
Premium Member
26,291 Posts
Scotty clips seem to work well with mono.

Only downside is the price. Common wisdom calls for three times as many clips as lines out.
On a good day - I've used 50 clips. Just setting 8 rods off the boards takes 8 clips from the supply.

Cheaper way is to use #32 rubberbands and carabiner clips or plastic shower curtain riings.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Scotty clips are the way to go....check with the local tackle shops, most owners will cut you a price break if you buy 25 or more.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Tylers Tackle in Ches Bch is having a big sale. Call Georgie or Capt. Wayne and ask for a deal on scotty releases. You won't be disappointed. It's a little bit of an investment up front but then you are done! They work best and last a long time.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
I am a clip guy. If you get them make sure the material between the clip and the caribiner is something that will not rust. Some use a key ring as a connector which will rust. Jim at Marty's uses something like 300# mono crimped and it works great.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I use scotty clips as well and they work well for me. You have to fork over some cash up front, but after that you are set for a long time (assuming you don't drop too many in the water while putting the rods out which I seem to have a problem with). I actually use the pear shaped shower curtain rings as the connection to the planer board line: the rings fit through hole at the head of the clip, so all you have to do is string the ring through and you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
David,
I rig Scotty clips with 300# Ande mono and double crimp it with a black nickel double sleeve. Very strong, will not rust and will last for years.

Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I have a bag of #32 rubber bands, 2 dozen shower curtain rings, a box of jumbo paper clips, and I am going to get a half dozen or so of the Scotty clips with carabineers from Marty’s (thanks Jim) to see what I like best and works best with my rigs. I will expand from there to get two to three times the number clips to the number of rods I will be working.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good source of additional carabineer clips?

Thanks for all the help!!!

Tight lines...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Those carabiners look like ones I just paid $1.86 a piece for. I got 15 so looks like that is a good deal. I also got 15 scotty clips at $5.75 a clip.....

·
Registered
785 Posts
David
You can get carabiners at Home depot too:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

$.98 each

Though I think they should have some cheaper ones as well that don't have the strap.

One comment on the shower curtain rings - the ones I used in the past would rust quickyl. Maybe yours are better quality but that is one reason I switched to carabiners years ago.

Best,
Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm guessing they should be here by the end of the week. I plan on just using them with rubber bands.
I did alot of web searches before I found these. I'm really not that concerned about the snap/spring quality as I'm sure 50 will last long enough for the price.

Greg

·
Registered
499 Posts
you can take the money you would spend on the clips and buy a rod n reel combo. carabiners and rubber bands work well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you can take the money you would spend on the clips and buy a rod n reel combo. carabiners and rubber bands work well.
I read this and looked quickly over my shoulder. Are you stalking me? Bought the rod, reel, and rod hanger for the cuddy in the boat , so it will look like its always been there.

Greg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts